Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition lock stuck!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

went to move the blazer and i couldnt shut it off! it moved fine when i started it, couldnt turn back. does this mean i need a new switch? how do i fix this? i have no manual on how to take apart the ignition. please help.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So your truck is settin out in your driveway idleing all your gas away or can you just not get your key out? Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Shouldn't* apply to getting the key out, but you've tried moving the steering wheel back and forth while trying to rotate the key backwards?

Don't force it, you'll break the lock cylinder "bezel".

4. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Pull the steering wheel off. Remove the lock plate. (requires special tool from auto zone) There is a pin you need to remove to remove the lock. This is simplified, but the hardest part is the lock plate. There is a clip that holds it in. In order to remove it, you need to put the plate down.
    Not real hard to do. Pick up a chiltons. Worth the $$$$$$$$$$

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

tried wiggling it for 15 minutes. ended up pulling the coil wire and the - battery term.

then i pulled the wheel, realized i have no idea how to get past there, then called my buddy whos a mechanic. will be towed over there tomorrow. if i wasnt sick with the flu i would probly do it myself. ya i need to pick up a chiltons, i have a service manual and a unit repair manual from GM, but neither cover the ignition lock.

6. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Mine did that baout 4 months agao. It would lock while on, and someties it would lock when trying to start it,, A little WD 40 in the mechanisism did the trick, Nary a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Brett