Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Module

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer1AB, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Blazer1AB

Blazer1AB Registered Member

I replaced my ignition module today and had 2 prongs on one side and 3 on the other. I have just been looking at caps, rotors, coils, tune-up kits etc. on Summit Racing and EVERY single kit they have that comes with an ignition module says its a 4 prong. I dont care since I just replaced mine, but will everything else be the same. I double checked the year and everything on the site, but what gives? I ordered mine from the part store today before I even took it out and they sent me the right one. Why are the ones on the websites different?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what year and engine? You likely have an ESC unit which has another prong.

3. Blazer1AB

Its an 83- originally had a 305 but now has a 350. But the guy before me put all of the old "stuff" on the new motor.

4. Blazer1AB

But all of the descriptions of the products say something like 1979-1984 or 1979 and up. So will everything else be the same as far as cap, and rotor and coil? And would something like this work? Jeg's - MSD HEI KIT

5. Blazer1AB

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe ALL 305 trucks '81 or so and up had ESC until TBI. (it was based on the high compression the 80's 305's had)

Cap rotor and coil will be the same as far as I know. I don't believe there were any real changes in those 3 components from HEI's inception in 1974 to the change back to a remote coil in around '88.(? year)