Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Modules

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jul 5, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Does anybody use some of the High Performance Ignition Modules that are available? I'm keeping my eye out for one. I've seen differen't kits where you can actually adjust your timing and everything else from inside the cab. I mainly use my K5 as a daily driver but I'm also a weekend off roader, do ya'll know of any kits that would work best with my "Stock" setup. Oh yea...I have a 5.7 TBI.

89 K5 Silverado

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have an MSD "board' inside my HEI that works great!! The board replaces the factory "module". I don't know what they cost or what exactly they do, but I was fouling 4-6 plugs in a couple of days until I made the change. I also added Platinum plugs.....Bosch.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't believe you have an ignition module in your truck. if you have the "small" hei, you don't have one. all timing is controlled by the computer. and cannot be adjusted. I don't know if you can even use a msd box on there. performance chips and programable proms are the only way to change your timing.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Bablazer73, You are right about the timing but wrong about the ignition modules. The small hei's do have ignition modules.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

ok. I'm glad to be corrected. thanks. I thought the computor took over the world!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

bablazer73...
    Was that post for me? I know next to nothing about the electrical end of my K5. I was refering to getting something kind of like the MSD 5a Ignition box (I think that is right, can't find my summit).

89 K5 Silverado

7. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Bablazer73, Computers have taken over the world, thats why there are so many things wrong nowadays!! I only know about the modules because a couple months ago my truck died less than a mile from my house, I could almost see it and it cost me $60 to get it towed home because I couldn't get a ride to the store for a new module at the time. I was upset at the fact it was $60 for the tow but in the end I was the dumbass because I forgot I had a spare distributor at my house with a good module. Now you would think I would buy a new one and keep it in the truck, still a dumbass

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro