Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition not hot what did I do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Mar 14, 2007.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I fixed a burnt up wire down by the starter, I cut the fusible link out it was half fried anyway, then I put a butt join there and put 10 guage wire on the end with a 10 guage eyelit all wraped in shrink wrap.

Then, I went to go start the truck and have nothing. My battery does work, I can turn the lights on. I checked power to each of the eyelits on the big stud to the starter and got power to them all. I checked power to the alternator and have power there. I also have no burnt fusses. Im really not sure where to test on the junction block, maybe someone can provide a pic?

Not sure if this matters but today I went to double check the power to the starter and touched the battery eyelit and it shot a spark off.

Thanks guys this is really frusterating, I fix one thing and it leads to another problem.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

does it crank and not fire? if so checkthe wire that has just one tab thingy...thats power into the dist...just follow that around and check for frayed wires. if no prob there then check thhe fuses...if its not even starting make sure that the starter is wired right adn getting power. if it is adn aint crainkin the starter *may* be bad.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I turn the key and get nothing.

4. broncoman6524

check the fuses you may have blown one...and make sure that the starter is getting power. if both are fine. hit the coil pack thing on top of the starter. if its going bad it will stick and one you hit it with like say a hammer it will free up and spin...

5. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I have no burnt out fusses and the starter has about 10 starts on it, and it worked fine before the wire burnt up.

6. broncoman6524

so in other words there is NO cranking period? hmmmm. maybe you could try and start it like a ford and see what happpends. (screw driver connecting the starter posts...thereofre eliminating any need for switches.

7. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

No cranking you turn the key and its like you have no battery.I have a start button and I put my test light on the wires and it gets no power. I have been trying to solve this with Ryoken through pm's and we think my cab is getting no power. But if thats the case they why would I be able to turn my lights on?

8. wildmandave

wildmandave 1/2 ton status

sounds like another burn wire. check down by the starter. look where the other wire was burnt at. that wire you had a pic got real hot.

9. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Did you disconnect the wire from the starter solenoid at all?
    Because there is 2 places to hook up a constant, one is labeled with an "R" and one with an "S". Cant remember right now which one it needs to be on, can check tomorrow if you want. Shoot me a PM if you need to know.

10. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I have 3 wires hooked up onto the big stud and 1 on the small stud, all the other wires are fine just that one got fried.

11. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

where are you located, maybe I can swing by and lend a hand.

12. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Im in phoenix 35th and beardsley, it's about 40 mins away from Nates if you know where he lives. I appreciate the offer, I need to get Dad out there if he hes having a good day tomorrow.

13. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

well, I am about 10 minutes from nate, so, if you don't get it figured out soon, let me know, maybe I can find some time to get up there.

14. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Awesome thanks abunch. Today I was really frusterated with it, doesn't help I have no clue what im doing :haha:

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your problem lies within this wire you cut out and replaced. The fuseable link wire can burn at any point in the wire. This wire goes from the starter battery terminal up to a junction block on the firewall then into the cab to the ignition switch. Make sure you still have power at the junction block, if not install a new wire the whole distance but make sure there is a fuseable link in it.

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Better yet, a fuse or breaker instead.... :wink1:

He seems to be having trouble finding the junction block... I tried to explain to him where it is, but I think he's confusing it with the bulkhead connector in front of the fuse block..

Anyone got a pic of the junction block they can show him?

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

18. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It is possible that when you spliced the wire, you forgot the other wire that went into the link. I have seen that before. 2 wires on one side, one on the other.

19. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I just cut the link off and added a single wire for a single wire. I thought that was the junction block, but thought they were grounds:doah:

Thanks for the explanation on the picture.

20. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

No power to the junction block. I thought maybe it was a bad crimp on the starter post, so I recrimped it and got nothing.

I think im going to rewire that whole wire insted of just adding on to it like I did.

Would jumping the starter do anything?