Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition off Stumble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Sep 30, 2002.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I have an 85 K5 with the 305, and when I turn the ignition off, the engine stumbles like it's trying to run but then it dies. It only does this for about 3 revolutinos then it dies. The choke light flickers but never turns fully on. Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's a very easy one, it's called dieseling, check your timing, if it's correct that means you have carbon deposits on your heads and that raises the compression ratio and it detonnates.
    I use an additive to clean the vavles and heads then it runs perfect.
    Any of the additives that says clean valves or engine, octane will make it run better but it will not clean it or fix the problem only the simptoms.
    I run one bottle every 6 months jsut for maintenance, I never have problems anymore.
    IceMan

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

look at ur idle too the higher it turn ,the easier it can do that

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some auto shops can do a (Motor Vac). They hook a machine up to the fuel system and fun a cemical through the engine while the motor is running. Cleans everything, restores preformance, well worth looking into.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Did you move or change gas stations? Sounds stupid, but I just moved to Colorado and my 86 started that....bout drove me nutty. Then I foundd out regular gas here is only 85 octane....I changed back to 87(what shes used to) and she does fine. Hope it helps