Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition problem, i plan on fixing tomorrow,help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Sep 21, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Jun 12, 2002
    I broke down 3 weeks ago and i was trying to find my problem...i had a ghetto rigged rotor button so i replaced the cap and rotor. Nothing. I noticed im getting no spark to my plugs. What should i do? I want to hit up autozone tomorrow, I really need my transportation back. Oh its HEI too.
  2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Apr 11, 2002
    first thing to check is input power coming into the unit.should be the pink wire going into the harness.if not that then maybe replace the spark controller inside distributor.ive heard when it goes it doesnt give any worning,it just goes out.i think its only like 20 bucks for the new one.
  3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Feb 4, 2002
    HEI huh? Did your rotor button break? You replaced the ign cap & rotor, what did the coil look like in the cap? Was it kinda white around the edges or smell "funny", usually signs of a blown coil. I've seen lots of stuff go wrong with HEI set-ups but the coil useally blows when the button breaks. (unless your using an external coil kit)
    I would check it out before you go buying parts though, Make sure your getting power to the coil, ground, I think most manuals even show you how to test the modules. I don't know what year the unit is, the modules are diffrent pin counts (among other diffrences) The 4 pin unit I belive is notorous for failure though. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Hope any of that helps. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif