Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skroo, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 1983 Blazer. 5.0, recently painted, almost no rust, engine and trans rebuilt 20 and 10 thousand miles ago. It only been driven a few times in the past two years. I drove it for 3 days untill I finally had a chance to take it to the river. I threw it into 4 wheel and went about 15 feet off the road when it died. I figured it was the coil or module so I had them tested. They were alright but I replaced them anyways. The truck still would'nt start. I then took off the cap and looked harder and saw a wire broke off of the pickup coil. I bought a new one and it ran for maybe 30 seconds and it died. Then it would start and run when I gave it gas, but it would die when it idled down. Finally after the 3rd or 4th time it wouldn't start. I pulled the dist. again and tore it down. I replaced the pickup coil again and swapped the module with the old one. i put it back together and it started right up. I drove it for 45 minutes and decided to go back to the river. Threw it into 4 wheel and it ran great. Drove threw the sand and pulled itself up a steep hill with no problems. I then went to another spot and got 30 yards of the road and it died again. What can be causing this?

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

does it sound like its starving from fuel?? does it kinda choke and putter or just up and die??how long has it been since ur filters (fuel, oil,breather,etc.) have been changed?? let me know or PM me

NITRO

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

When this happens pull a spark plug boot and check for spark. That will break your problem down to either spark or fuel delivery. Good Luck

4. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

It is a spark problem. I pulled a plug at the river when it died.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

then its either coil or the ignition module. coils are like $15 and IM's are like $14 just replace both and it should be fine. at least have em checked bfore u do. do u have HEI??? what yr??

NITRO

6. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

It's an '83 w/HEI. What would cause it to die within an hour? I can tear it down tomorrow and I'll let ya'll know
    Where do you get modules so cheap? They cost twice that in houston.

7. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

PEOPLE TELL ME IT COST 15 FOR A COIL BUT AT AUTOZONE THEY WERE 29 BUCKS?? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Save yourself some trouble and buy geniune GM parts, or that hopped up MSD stuff if you want some cool stickers. I run MSD, but GM is just as good if not better. You have to use some stuff called dielectric grease. Autozone should have that. That grease gets along with electrical equipment. What you do is smack some of it on the back of the module and bolt it in. This allows the heat to easily transfer out of the module and to the housing. This could be why it takes a while for it to cut out.

With that grease and new module and you'll still crap out, its time to look somewere else for the culprit.

9. wheelin72

ya that is grease is important. I was at auto zone today and they said the 3 digit weather has brought many module failures lately.

10. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Alright, this problem is really pissing me off. I got the module check and it was bad. Bought a new one and put it back in and it ran for 3 or 4 seconds and died. Started again and it would only run when given gas and then it died. I got the module tested agian and it was bad too. What the h$## could cause it to burn out so fast. We're figuring a short somewhere but we aren't sure.

11. wheelin72

im having a similar problem
    if ur module is bad will u get spark?

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Change the coil, check the magnetic pickup, and see what voltage you are getting. There's also that piece with a little cylinder on it that plugs onto the left side of the module. To check the voltage, unplug the pink wire, stick your voltage meter in and flip on the key.