Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Dec 13, 2004.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

come january ill be doing alot of work on my 90 tbi 350. im doing the full cfm treatment with a edelbrock intake,possible cam and computer mods and maybe the thorleys off my suburban. what would be a good ignition set up? ive heard msd or mallory or one of the big names can fry stuff. the truck will see mostly wooded trails but wont be a stranger to mud and water. let me hear your thoughts. thanks

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The stock Ignition is a good system for TBI
    But
    If your dist is bad or you u just gotta have a new one I recomend one of these over MSD:http://www.performancedistributors.com/gmcomputerdist.htm
    Get their screamin demon coil too.
    IMHO DUI is way better than MSD's Box and all the extra wires you have to deal with. Also MSD distributor modules tend to burn out at bad times.
    I am running one of DUIs Dist modules and coil in my 89 and really like it.Its been very dependable for over 3 years now.

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

how well does it hold up in moisture situations like a mud bog or deep water crossing. i thought i heard about a waterproof distributer on trucks but cant find it.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The DUI dist is as waterproof as any other on the market. If you want waterproof.... Thats what they make silicone for. Never heard of a waterproof dist for TBI