Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arnold88, May 31, 2000.

1. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

I have an '88 K5 with the 5.7 with fuel injection. Yesterday it wouldn't start, I checked to see if it was getting fire to the plugs, it got only 1 spark when I turned the key to start. I replaced the: plugs, wire, cap, rotor, control module, pick-up coil, and ignition coil. Still no spark!! Any ideas what to check next. The coil is putting out a good spark when I pull the wire from the coil to the cap.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm, did you try turning over the motor with your cap off to make sure your dist. is still turning?? If so take the module to a parts store that has one of them LED testers to make sure they didn't sell you a busted one!??
    Best O luck on this one!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I've had the same damn problem!!!
    One of the guys here told me to replace the pick-up coil in the distributor, but I've yet to do it because the distributor is brand-new. I had it at a shop recently for something else and had them look at it and they said it was just loose wiring because the truck would start if you banged on the distributor. After the shop "tightened" it up, it worked for two weeks and now it's doing it again. Once again, a bang on the distributor does it. I'm really frustrated myself and I think I will go ahead and replace the pick up coil per the suggestion.
    Try banging on it yourself and please let me know if you discover anything.