Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Switch Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazinNewTrails, Sep 26, 2002.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Ok guys... Help??? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    I just bought my Blazer and the ignition switch was very sticky. It was like the key wasn't working or the locks tumblers weren't resetting.
    Last night as I went to leave work the ignition switch refused to budge.
    Sooooooo.... after about an hour of wiggling the shifter (auto) the tilt, and the wheel itself... I ummm...
    Took out a magnum screwdriver and a hammer and ummm...
    Well.... my Blazer doesn't need a key anymore!!!!
    The lock is way less sticky since the screwdriver modification. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    So... my question is... is there a simple way to remove what's left of the old switch and install a new one?
    I'm going to buy the new switch in the morning.
    I'm guessing smacking the new one in with a hammer is out of the question??? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Anyone?

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had to do this when i got drunk and lost my keys in an atc flipover at 2am in the dunes. you basically have to take the stearing wheel off. behind your horn button there is a large nut that needs to be removed. behind that there is the peice that your steering wheel is actually bolted to. youll need a steering wheel puller to get this off. ive used a couple BIG screw drivers before though. take out the 3 screws that hold your turn signal cam on. now towards the top of the housing you should be able to see a little slot. in it you can see the side of the lock cylinder and a pin. youve got to find a small screw driver to push that pin in. pull on the cylinder at the same time. it should just pop right out. when you put the new one in just make sure its in the same position as when you took the other one out. it should pop right in. no sweat. or... find a way to mount that screw driver on a key ring.

3. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Thanks Balz!
    I was hoping it would go something like that.
    I hope I can find a steering wheel puller to borrow.
    Before I took the hammer to it I TRIED to take the wheel off by tapping the steering shaft with a hammer while someone else pulled on it.
    It wasn't cooperating!
    Thanks Again!
    Greg