Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition switch removal?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leinie, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Leinie

Leinie Registered Member

I turn the key to the ACC position, insert wire, push springy thing in, but the core will not turn counterclockwise and come out as I have been told it should
    I've shot the assembly full of DEEP CREEP and no change,
    What am I doing wrong?

72 K5 CST X 2

2. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

I tried the same thing and it didn't work. I had to take a hammer and screwdriver to it and smashed it to bits. Just be careful not to break the threaded "neck" which the Bezel screws into to secure it to the dash.
    Good Luck.

3. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

These can be a pain in the a**. Sometimes the key will keep pulling out, and then they are real difficult to remove. Be patient and just keep after it. Sometimes it helps to have another person hold the wire while you wiggle the key around in the acc. position. I've never ran into one yet that wouldn't come out, but I do know some won't. My friend drilled one out once, I don't know how difficult it was, but he did get it out. As has been said. Good luck

Rob

Self and Spouse Proclaimed GM Junkie
    She thinks I'm Sick and... She's Right

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As fatdog said, you need to position the cylinder just-so in order to get the paper clip into the plunger that allows removal of the lock cylinder from the ignition switch.

5. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

OK, Leinie, what you are doing is following directions :-) , which need to be modified just a little bit.

I did this just over 1 month ago to my little blazer, and it took me several hours, but I was successful.

First off, sh#tcan the paperclip. I used a piece of high tensile wire. It came from a cheap key ring, about the same diameter as a paperclip, but much stronger. I straightened the wire out and then placed the wire in a small set of needle nose visegrips for leverage. My key was broken off in the lock, so I wasn't worried about matando the switch. I used the flat wide regular screwdriver blade on my superleatherman. Rather than use a screwdriver, the leatherman can be used at a 90deg angle, providing turning leverage.

First I used the needle nose to pull off the chrome cover on the switch, then went to work. Lots of pushing on the visegrips and turning on the leatherman. I really applied torque to the switch, enough to bend the flat reg screwdriver blade 12-15 degrees off the gerade.

It came out, once the little pin was pushed all the way in. That's the trick, make sure it's all the way in.

Good luck,

HarryL