Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Switch Removal

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Nov 3, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am replacing the switch and did a search but still have some questions.

1. Do you first push the little spring thing in and turn counter clockwise with the key in Accessory or do you loosen the front trim ring and then should the whole thing pull out the back of the dash?

2. Does the lock cylinder come out the front or back of the dash on disassembly?

3. Are there locking clips that need to be pushed to remove the plug from the back of the switch?

Done this before but cant remember quite how. Just remember it was a pain and my Haynes manual is buried somewhere.

Thanks.

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

when I removed my ign. switch from my 72 the trim ring unscrews and the switch goes back behind the dash.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

first part I don't remember, push spring (hold), turn key revmove lock cylinder out the front, then unscrew the bezel and switch will fall out the back once you unplug the harness

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Guess that explains why when you unscrew the bezel completely the switch still doesnt go out the back of the dash. thanks Lkjr. Had to stop working on it and now I think the alternator crapped out again. Oh well its under warranty.