Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition switch ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

My ignition switch went out today. Does anyone know what wires i need to use to hook up a toggle switch for on/off and the wires to use for a starter button?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Why not just get a new switch?

3. Elevator Man

I want to put a start button on it because I dont have any keys to lock the doors and it would be harder for some one to figure out how to start it, plus I have bad luck with aftermarket switches so I figured this setup would be easy to maintain.

4. Elevator Man

I know its a stupid/noob question but I would like some help!!!!!

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Wiring harness diagrams are available online, from, say, Autozone, or on my Brochures page.

But you really, REALLY don't want to fsck your truck up that badly. Replace the switch with another switch. And fix your door cylinders too =))

-- A

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah, dont fvck your truck up like that, i even have working door locks, without windows, granted, but still... lol do what you want...

7. Elevator Man

I don't understand how it will F%# it up, It's for wheelin, I'm not really going after "show room quality" If I wanted that I would've bought a car!!!!!!!!
    I think it would be pretty simple and easy to maintain, thought someone might know how or already don this to there rig!!!!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, I think it would be more work than simply replacing the ignition switch.

More work for the wrong fix?

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's a pretty darn easy fix, if it is even a failed ignition switch. They are exceedingly simple pieces, it may have just moved.

9. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I've actually got a push button start in my truck. Run a wire from the power wire on the starter (Big cable from the battery) to one end of your switch. I bought one at the home depot for a few bucks.

Run a separate wire from the terminal on the solenoid (Smaller power wire) to the other end of your switch.

When you press the button it will complete the circuit and it will turn over. It will turn over even if the truck is off because its powered all the time but it wont start without the key. You need the key to turn on the ignition.

I didnt feel like ripping apart the column to fix my ignition swith either and this was a cheap and easy fix. It works fine and it's actually kinda cool. I mounted mine under the radio in my truck but you can put it wherever.

I drew up a diagram real quick on paint but i cant figure out how to put it on here. PM me and i'll email it to you if u want it.

10. Elevator Man

Thanks for the info Cuurank5, I decided last night i'm gonna go ahead and put a remote solinoid on it tommrow and I can put a button on it that way thanks for the help!!!!!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

check out every buggy ever built and see how many push button starts you see vs key starts. Adding a push button won't "screw up" anything. Assuming you address necessary security issues in another way, push buttons are cooler if you ask me.

j

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

if you must...

Here's how..

Run a wire from a 12V hot source to the push buton switch--the other wire on the switch goes to the thick purple wire on the starter solenoid..when you push the button,it cranks!..(you can tap into the purple wire at the neutral satety switch if desired..easier than hooking it at the solenoid..there are TWO purple wires at the neutral saftey under the steering colum--only one goes to the solenoid,that is the one to tap into)..

The HEI has a big pink wire plugged into the dist.cap..that is the 12V hot lead from the ignition..remove it and tape it up so it wont short out..run another 10 ga wire from where that wire was plugged in,to a toggle switch..run the other wire from the switch to a 12V power source (fuse box ,or battery).."ON" lets it start and run,"OFF" kills it!..DONE!..:crazy:

Be aware it'll be EASY for any thieves to steal your truck when set up this way..most are well aware of vehicle wiring,and know all too well about by-passing the ignition and starter!...:doah:

13. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

I recently had to tighten my tilt steering... which by they way took forever to figure out to do untill I found a web page that explained it... But anyway in that web page they give step by step instructions on how to take all that stuff apart. I would just get a new switch it is so simple to do on your own once you have a puller and a lock ring compressor!

heres the link

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html