Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition swith have enough power to run 5 gauges?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 23, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am almost done mounting my AutoMeters in my dash bezel and I started wiring the lights...I got to thinking, will the ignition swith have enough power to run all 5 gauges? Also, will the light swith have enough juice to run the 6 dash lights? I am combining all the dash light wires so I only have to tap into the light switch at one place and I am combining all the ignition source wires for the gauges fo rthe same reason...Will this work ?

Chris

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't wory about supplying the power, I'd worry about overloading the wires. It may seem like a miniscule change, but with the different sizes of wire, along with the different loads each sees, its pretty dangerous to not think out the consequences of trying to draw too much through too small of a wire. You *know* GM didn't use wiring any larger than they HAD to for safety and reliability, so any more load than what GM had designed for is asking for trouble.

If a blade type fuse panel, you can get power off of the accessory ports on the fuse panel, (some are 30amp breakers, some are I believe straight 12V batt, using the fusible links from the starter) no half ass tapping that way. It only leads to problems later on. If you overload the wires, you'll be lucky if you don't have a fire that will cost you your truck.

As to the lights, are you talking a similar amount/wattage as the stock ones? The stock cluster has something like 10 lights in it, so if you are running 6 comparable ones, I'd think removing the pin for lighting from the stock gauge connector, and cutting it off, splicing it for a feed to your lights would be your best bet.