Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition systems ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kool, Feb 8, 2002.

1. kool

kool Registered Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My 89' K1500 has basically the stock 350, with the exception of a chip, power pulleys, and a drop-in K&N. I'd like to up-grade the ignition system . Not sure if I want an MSD, Jacobs, etc... Also should I go with a box type system or just a coil and module? I also have plans on getting headers and getting a Holley TBI system if that makes any difference. AAHH hell , what are a good choice of headers for these trucks? Thanx for the info..
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Heres what I have on my 89K5 for engine up grades.
    Edelbrock Headers( TES).... I like them it was an esay bolt, on and they work good. still look new after 2 years no rust.
    3" single exhaust with Flowmaster 3" 70 series mufler..... works good, not real noisy
    6-a MSD Ign box and blaster coil.
    Modified stock TBI, K&N + I modified the stock breather Tube and box so I get better flow and cool air.

I have heard of quite a few problems with the Jackobs ign stuff and the Holley TBIs.

For the iginition box. MSD is good but if you get a 6-a box mount it somewhere or cover it so it wont get wet.( I mounted mine in the cab) The off road box and the 6-T boxes are water proof but cost more.
    Mallory also just came out with a digital box called the HI- FYRE VI for 120.00 I have heard works real well. Its on my "stuff I gotta get list". Summit sells them.

Instead of the holley TBI you might want to look in to some of this stuff from<a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbocity.com/TBIPowerMain.htm> Turbocity.com</a>.
    I'm using a lot of the equipment on that page(air flow enhancer,Injector spacers, matched injectors, ect) and am very satisfied with the results. I havent decided if I like the "Fuel Enhancer selector" yet. But it does help give better fuel milage.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins
  3. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Nov 14, 2001
    My Experience: I had major problems with accel. I changed over to the MSD HEI Billet Dist/Off road box. The billet dist. gives you options on changing spring tension for your mechanical advance. Get a set of stock plugs with .055-.060 gap.and MSD 8mm wires. Also, MSD reps have been a great support during my 'trials' with the accel.
    I have only read info on Jacobs. If you check out alot of the race cars/trucks/dragsters, I would say 90-95% use MSD.

Headers: I really am not satisfied with the headman headers I have. I did have the flanges re-welded and surfaced, but I couldn't use 4 of the stage 8 bolts because of the close tolerances. They also discolored fast even after sandblast/repaint.. and.. still some leakage.

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    You know there really isn't much point to upgrade, right?

My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?
  5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    Get an MSD 6 series box, MSD coil, and MSD super conductor wires. I have them and I love them. They are great. They helped out my 350 alot. Throttle response, gas mileage, and power all picked up after the box was installed.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.