Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition timing for my '84 350 4bbl...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Dec 21, 2004.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Wondering if the ignition in this truck is just standard HEI... I'd like to recurve it. What type of timing should I be looking for at idle, and how much do I want it to advance too and when?

I have a friend that curves distributors, I just have to tell him where to get it.

I'm sure it will help pick the truck up some!!!

Oh yea, what cap, coil and wires should I go with on this truck? How about ECUs? Does HEI have a replaceable ECU?

What spark plugs do you guys run? With what gap? .035?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Standard Base timing is 6* BTDC on a 350. You can advance that some if you feel like it and the motor will let you. I believe overall timing should be 32-36* totally advanced. The curve will have to be set to your motor.

There is no ECU for an HEI truck. The module takes care of that. The stock module works fine unless you are reving the motor past 4500 rpm or so. A performance module will be a waste of time.

As for cap, rotor, wires I use MSD. MSD cap, MSD Rotor, and MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires.

You can open your gap up some if you want. I would probably run .037-.040 on a stock ignition system.

I run standard AC Delco plugs with my fuel injection, but when my truck was carb it liked the Champion Truck Plugs. I would start with AC Delco's. Nothing fancy.

Harley

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dura spark!!!!

dont forget the emmison control hei . that might be in yours.