Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition / Timing HELP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 21, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the garage originally but am moving along here:

My 85 C-10 died randomly earlier this week. Very new 350 engine runs and burns clean no problems. No stuttering or anything before it kicked the bucket, just flat out died. Has gas, everything else seems normal. New alternator and battery. The battery is holding a charge. Since it died I replaced the ignition module. Nothing changed. I have 12V at the distr. cap but have no spark. Swapped over the cap and rotor from my blazer which worked when I took it off to test it on the C-10 and still works when I just put it back on. Even with the working coil I get no spark at the plugs.
    That rules out the coil.

Correct me if I am wrong but the rotor when you turn it over is supposed to stop in the #1 position of the firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) Its stopping exactly 180 degrees of where the number one plug goes on the HEI cap. Does this mean the timing is off? Everytime I turn it over it stops in this position. Couldthis be why it doesn't start? How do I fix this? I have no experience with adjusting timing or anything. PLEASE HELP! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The pickup coil may be bad. The pickup coil is the round thing inside the distributor that the white and green wires go to. It is what generates the signal that tells the module to fire the coil. if it is bad you will get a intermitent or no spark.
    You have to pull the distributor, take the gear off and pull out the shaft out to change it.

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Your crankshaft turns twice when your rotor turns once. So when your TDC it could either be 180 degrees off or pointing at number 1. That should rule out your timimg.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had this happen with my ESC distributor. I pulled it and put in a regular one and it solved the problem. $35 at a junkyard.