Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Timing: What/Where to Disconnect?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jim burke, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jim burke

jim burke Registered Member

I did a search, but didn't quite find the answer. To set the ignition timing on an '89 350 K5, what do I need to disconnect? Is it a connector or just one wire? I think it's a tan wire with a black stripe, is this correct? Is it on the passenger side or the drivers side? Near the top of the firewall (just below the cowl)? If someone could post a picture (or e-mail it to me at jim@videosforlearning.com ) I'd much appreciate it!

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I'll see if i can find a good pic but its located on the driver side right near the firewall. One brown wire... should be about 1 foot to the right(if your standing at the front of the truck) from your master cylinder

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is a good piece of advice I was given by an "old timer" :D (poke at Therobzilla). Put that wire on a toggle switch mounted to the firewall where it is easy to access. It makes timing the motor much easier to just be able to click the toggle switch back and forth to connect and disconnect that wire then trying to stick your hands down by the back of the motor.

I did it when I installed my fuel injection, and it is a GREAT cheap mod.

Harley

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what year is your rig? mine is an 88 and its right next to the fender... real easy to get to.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine is an 85 and I swapped in TPI fuel injections off a Firebird. In the aftermarket harnesses the connector is down near the distributor. It is a PITA to get to to disconnect and reconnect to time it. Now I just flip a switch and am good to go.

Harley

6. jim burke

1989. Driver's side fender?

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The timing bypass disconnect should be sticking out of a big wire loom on the drivers side firewall. Look for a big thick wire loom between the brake booster and the frnder. There should be a tan wire with a black stripe and a weather tite connector sticking out of the wire loom.. Pull the connector apart to set timing. be sure the engine is off before disconnecting the connector

9. jim burke

I found the connector with no problem at all. Thanks for the help :waytogo::k5: