Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition turns over without a key

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have an alarm that cuts power to the starter and i lost my beeper... doesn't help when I need to time the motor so I paid some guys from steel audio to come out and cut the alarm wire... somewhere along the way i realize that my ignition doesn't need a key and i can start this thing with my bare hands and nothing else. Is it the wire or do i need a new ignition?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Does the ignition cylinder turn without a key? That is a common problem when they wear out. Mine did that. Pop in a new cylinder. It is pretty easy to do and they are cheap.

Harley

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

not sure what you mean but without a key i can start it... the actual iginition doesn't spin in the column but it acts like it has a key in it.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The thing you put a key in will turn without a key in it? It need a new cylinder (tumbler).

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

damn .... i was afraid of that. would be a bummer to have it get stolen but an even bigger bummer to have it get stolen after i just spent 3k on a motor.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Key or not, it will get stolen if they want it.

What was your address?

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

1795 go F*ck yourself lane... LOL I'll be in the lawn chair with the bat.

I'll bet theres a few people who are gonna keep an eye out for a certain K5 in redding... I've already said too much. now they know its a k5. Its got a blown fusible link right now so im safe for the next couple days.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

most of the time when they are worn liek this they will lock back into lock position and then you do need the key to unlock it then you can pull key out and start and shut it off and whatever without the key, all fine until you lock the switch

i have stranded myself in a chevy this way before

so be careful

if you choose not to use key then at least pocket it

this is a VERY common wear problem in these trucks i have had many like this and i never fix it i just pretend it works fine when i have someone in the truck with me, and sometimes when i dont have key in it they dont notice anyways, cept for once or two incidents, :P

my brothers 92 s-10 pickup is this way too, his will lock still though, he has stranded himself also before, mostly this is a 70s issue however

9. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

mine did the same thing but when the ignition wire finally popped off the tumbler i put it a hidden start switch, so now you still need the key to unluck the column, turn the key to run, and then pop the ignition switch. my truck is also a diesel with a manual GP switch so when people get in my truck, they see me turning on all this crap and are just like.........what the hell!

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Lot of good your bat will do when we roll up and 3 people get out with guns! Thanks for the K5!!! ;) :rotfl:

I'd replace the tumbler and get the alarm hooked back up! Or get a new one installed. :D

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

In my neighborhood I bet theres already 3 guys with guns planning to take it.

I sold my 30-06 and 12 gauge when i bought my dirtbike so the bat is my only option. lol.

I definetly have to get it all replaced and get another beeper... Our trucks are about the easiest to get into with the doors locked and then steal when the damn ignition turns by itself. I can get into my truck with a long pair of plyers with both the doors locked.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

:rotfl:

Anymore, even with all the top notch security devices. If someone wants your ride bad enough, they'll find someway to get past everything. :( There are posts on PBB all the time in the Toyota forum since they seem to be popular prey now. :(

Try a hidden ign cut off switch, fuel pump power cut off switch, etc..... Maybe even a keyed brake lock...

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I'm pretty sure our old C/K chevy trucks are on the top ten most stolen list... :mad:

14. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea both my 79 1ton and my 92 s10 you dont need the key for them. they 79 sucks tho because if you turn it all the way back it locks an i usually get stuck, but the s10 you have to press down a button for it to lock so i usually never get locked out(knock on wood).

but yea put a new cylinder in, there pretty cheap but kinda a PITA to put in

15. savagek5diesel

i locked my keys in my truck about a month ago, and just walked over to home depot and bought a slim screw driver and popped my vent window open and hit the power lock switch.... :blush: ..... to much info has been revealed, i have to kill all of you now. sorry. :grin:

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

haha... i don't have power windows...im still safe. NOt really.

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Mine starts without a key too. I kind of like it.

When I start the truck in the morning I can lock the truck while it warms up without having to split up my key ring. :D

Thieves won't be able to start it anyways... they'd have to know where I keep my glo plug button :rotfl:

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I was thinking about marking a few plug wires and mixing em up in a way that i could memorize it and put it back when i need to run it...pulling the coil plug won't stop anybody... they just pull one plug wire put it on the ignition and drive off on 7 cylinders.

19. savagek5diesel

i do the same thing with my truck in the morn. just start it and lock it.