Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition upgrades?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MR4WD, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally figured out how to adjust the timing on my 91 K5 with a 350 after two weeks of owning it. (who's the horses ass the hid the tan wire with a black stripe under neath the brake booster?)

It's got 180k on it, just the way it came from the factory in 91. I've got MSD crap on my 496 and I'm pretty impressed with it, so I'm curious as to whether or not I can use MSD components on a TBI engine? I'll go with a coil, and plug wires for sure since those are transferable to a rebuilt 350, and may as well go with a cap and rotor.

So, the question is who makes ignition performance upgrades for a TBI 350?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">MSD makes high-powered ignition parts for TBI motors. The boxes work too, I run a 6AL on the TPI 350 in my blazer.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you can run just about anything on it

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure all the components are good quality and in good shape, and you'll be fine.

Cap/rotor aren't really something you can improve on. Either they are made right or they aren't. If the ones on it are working, and pass a visual inspection, run them.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go Here: performancedistributors.com
    Scroll downpage and get the screamin Demon coil and the 8 pin dyna module (assuming its for your TBI 90) Or buy a whole Distributor from them (good stuff)
    Works just as good as an MSD 6-a box and coil and costs a lot less. Plus you dont have all those extra wires to deal with and where to mount the box
    Just Keep it simple.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go ahead an put the MSD stuff on your 350. I don't have TBI but the MSD works great on mine. I know you can install the coils and box and such on TBI engines. I would go for it. I love the MSD on my truck.