Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pops83k5, Jan 17, 2004.

1. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

Last summer I replaced my intake, carb and distributor and drove it about 2 weeks before it went into the shop for new rockers and a lot of other rust/rot related fixies. Several months later we're back on the road and she runs less than 1000 miles before she dies with a fried coil and ICM. Maybe all the welding fried these solid state components? Had it fixed and it lasted for about 500 miles before it went dead again. Looks like the ICM again. Anybody got any clues as to why she seems to be eating ICMs?

Also, the new card/intake setup creates a lot of black exhaust. I'm wondering if she needs a wider gap/hotter spark setup or is it time to consider replacing the stock 305 heads? Compression is high and I get some knock even running 93 octane. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sure its not pinging due to high octane ? souns liek you have triming iuussues and also a carb problem, check carb for obvious things like choke not opening all the way up and float adjustment, something is not right with it, you should not have black smoke, hotter plugs arent going to fix this, you will carbon up any plugs you put in it, you have fuel problem going on

get a vacuum guage and check manifold vacuum at idle speed and make aure its within 18 to 22 and needle isnt moving, rev it up and see that the needle smoothly moves over and doesnt jerk or twitch around

if it does then something is wrong in cam or valvetrain

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

My 76 sb400 was pinging something awful. It then got to where it would not start. I replaced the quadrajet and it still pinged pretty bad during highway cruising. I figured I'd replace the plugs with one step cooler ones, new cap, wires, rotor and when I was replacing the rotor I noticed that the advance weights were sticky so I replaced them using the heavy springs. Then it would not start at all. I poked around with a test light and found that the coil or the module were fried so I replaced them. After all that it runs great with no pinging at all. It hesitates very slightly when I punch it but that's a small trade-off compared to chipping the top edges off my pistons with the detonation.

4. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

The knock is only noticable when i stand on it hard and it doesn't happen under smoothe acceleration. I get a small plume of black smoke to complement the knock.