Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignore the other one, pic didnt work , please look here instead

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SNARCHER, Mar 26, 2003.

1. SNARCHER

SNARCHER Registered Member

[​IMG] hey guys im new here, does the top come off these things easy? this is a 1970 with 104k miles, a new tranny, kinda bare inside, not exactly luxurious, what do you think is a fair price for this beast?

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

tops come off real easy... I personally pulled mine off and never looked back. bought a soft top with removable windows and left the hard top in the garage.

That one looks pretty clean, you will want to check the rocker boxes for rust, thats probably going to be the biggest problem you will find. The boxes will be the flooring area behind the front wheel, under the doors. there is literally a box under there that you really cant get into. its pretty much the main structural piece to the body... if its toast, it can be fixed, but its a PITA.

If its relatively clean of rust, it looks pretty straight price is hard to say. I got my 72, crappy top, very little rust, pickup doors, needing an engine & tranny job for 2400.00 I have seen them from 1k to 9k around here in the PNW though.

Welcome to the addiction... you wont be sorry... just broke.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. SNARCHER

there is no carpet, and the floor is pretty rusty looking, is that bad? its liek a tin can inside, how much does maintenance cost to keep these things going? is it hard or easy to work on / find parts? thank you !!!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Snarcher,

Check the post called (Cancer Support Group) in this forum. That will give you some great reference photos of typical rust areas.....

Rust in the windshield area and front footwell area unfortunately IS common. The question is how BAD it ends up being.....

The trucks are simple to work on, that's the attraction for many of us. The problem is that these trucks are also more than 30 years old!!! Be realistic about your willingness to drive an old vehicle and your willingness to put up with it's idiosyncracies as you start restoring it.

These old Blazers have a healthy appetite for cash.....but if you're ready to dive in and enjoy the process, it can be extremely rewarding.

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

First of all....take your time and do some research. Don't be alarmed from all of the seemingly negative info that follows.

Looks good from the outside picture; however, given your location, you are going to have rust unless it has been PROPERLY taken care of by prior owner. It is not the rust that you can see that should concern you, it is the rust in underlying areas that requires you to remove seemingly sound sheetmetal in order to gain access.

You also do not know what has been painted over w/ that "fancy" paint job. It has been my experience that the metal condition under the frt seats/footwell area is a good indicator to overall shape of vehicle re: rust. If it is in bad shape and they covered it up w/ carpet or bedliner spray, then there is a good chance that they painted over similar areas on the body.

Re: "new/rebuilt tranny" IF THERE ARE NO RECEIPTS TO BACK THIS UP, THEN IT DOESN'T COUNT AS A POSITIVE. In fact, if it was done poorly, it is a negative which will cost you money and/or time down the road.

A vehicle is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Decide what you are looking for (ie. original cond, show truck, daily driver, or mud hound). Set yourself a budget as to what this level of vehicle will cost you, then calculate how much it will cost you to get the vehicle in question in shape to this standard.... then add 30% to what you "think" it will cost.

If the numbers add up..... go for it. If they don't add up, keep looking. Remember, take your time. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Consult www.collectorcartraderonline.com to find additional vehicles in your area and to help w/ how much this vehicle is worth to you. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

As far as maintance cost goes. I have been in a head over heals Front clip restoration (motor, frame, gearbox....everything) all winter and spending close to $250- $300 a month doing it. That may sound like a lot but its no more than a payment on a new 4wd would be and I can take a break from my payments at any time without the bank getting pissed. Plus they dont make convertrable trucks anymore.

7. SNARCHER

well i went and look at it again, it looks like its had some work done on those rocker bodys or whatever, like there is a new piece of sheet metal soddered to teh floor about a foot by a foot liek where you rest ur feet when you drive, thats good right? also what do you guys pay for insurance, im 21, no accidents, no tickets, thanks!

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Remember the gas $. Mine gets in the 6-8mpg. My tires, gearing and engine build are what kills my mpg. Some members have reported up to 17mpg.

If it looks like someone has welded new sheet metal to the rocker boxes, I would pass unless it is a great deal. Just to make sure your looking in the right place, here is a photo off of Blazerworld.net that shows the rocker boxes. They are usually solid but this one has a huge hole in it.
    [​IMG]

Prices vary depending on your location. Where are you located? I paid $4K for mine. It is relatively rust free - some rust in the drivers side floor board. I bought it with the lift, tires, soft and hard top. Since then, my tranny has gone out and I've had to do some major re-wiring under the dash and hood.

9. SNARCHER

its going to be a trade for my 1990 honda accord, i am near montreal tippy top of ny. there is no hole like that, its on the inside where the new metal is, like under the floor mat near the door

10. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Find out what book value is on your honda. Have a good mechanic at least do a compression check on the engine. Take it out for a test drive, hold down the brake pedal while you give it steady but strong gas and listen for any noises.

It probably won't be as maintenance free as your Honda until you spend some time & money getting it up to date, but you will have a classic vehicle that you actually built when you are done.

If this blazer feels that it is not the one for you, don't buy it. Look around and you will eventually find one. The longer you look, the more you will learn about what to look for and how much they are worth. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as maintance cost goes. I have been in a head over heals Front clip restoration (motor, frame, gearbox....everything) all winter and spending close to $250- $300 a month doing it. That may sound like a lot but its no more than a payment on a new 4wd would be and I can take a break from my payments at any time without the bank getting pissed. Plus they dont make convertrable trucks anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank you for that quote. With that quote I not only convinced my wife that I should keep the K5, but I also convinced her to give me $300 extra a month to put towards getting it to where I want it. She wanted me to sell it & use the money to put down on a new or newer truck.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

its in overall good shape.better than mine and i got mine for 2200 dollars.mine was missing a lot of stuff and i wish i had waited for a better deal but i wanted it bad enuf that that is what i was willing to pay for it.id say that that one would be worth at least that much.so id say between 2 and 3 grand would not be a bad price.

13. SNARCHER

what does a 350 with headers, holly carb, cherry bombs get for gass milage?

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

It depends on the tire size, gearing, etc. Of course, driving style is a big factor too.