Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Igntion Help please

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, May 12, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, got home from college and the truck won't start.

I am not getting fire to the plugs. At first I thought the MSD box may have fried the stock coil. But I put in my new MSD Blaster SS coil and tried to start the truck. Still no fire.

First question, what exactly needs to be hooked up to an exterior coil? Positive and Negative power, coil wire, anything else? (i have tried a hot lead from the battery to the coil on the positive side).

Second what else beside the coil could cause the no start in the igniton system? My truck no longer has an igntion module because of the MSD box. The distributor cap & rotor are 2 months old.(MSD)

My parents started my truck a couple weeks ago, but now it won't fire. It cranks, and I can hear fule go when I move the throttle cables.

Also my truck has an MSD 6 offroad box, MSD blaster ss coil (not sure it is hooked up right), MSD cap & rotor, MSD wires.

Thanks for any help.

Harley

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Two things that I have seen go bad that wouldnt allow it to start is the pickup in the dist. went bad, or the piece under the coil in the HEI went bad(the piece with the spring and the rubber isolator around it). Check those and let me know how those look.

Dan

3. Hossbaby50

The spring and rubber isolater are in good shape. I replaced them both when I installed the cap & rotor during spring break. I also checked them today, and they looked ok. Another thing i forgot to mention was that I am changing from the incap coil to the external Blaster SS, and I am using the HEI dust cover from MSD to do this.

I am sweating the program a little because I got to get this thing running so i can get to your place Wednesday. Thanks

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

I have the new coil wired like this. The orange wire is on +, the black is on -, and the middle wire from the old coil is wired to a rad support ground point. Is this right?

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Ohm the green and white wire...ie: the pick up coil...if its open your sunk until you replace it...had the same thing go out on me on the chalet with a 6AL box.

Azblazer

6. Hossbaby50

How hard is it to replace your pickup coil. Me and my buddy ran hot wires to the coil, and bypassed the kill switch so it isn't those two things. So I am down to pickup module. I was reading the process of replacement in Chilton's but they were a little fuzzy. Do you have to remove the whole ditributor? How much does a pickup coil run? Thanks for your help.