Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Illegal hitch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Jan 30, 2005.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I need some help. In another club forum I post in one of the members recommended to another member to keep a long arm hitch in their receiver so should anyone rear and them it would go through their rad, or at least keep people following too close back.

Now I remember a while back reading a post about something similar to this and a few people posted that it was illegal to drive with a hitch in the receiver when you aren't towing anything but I'll be damned if I can find any info on it. Any help here would be appreciated.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is illegal to run around in IL with bar in reciever i know
    same with running around with no doors, fenders, bumpers, uncovered/housed tire treads, and so forth
    very strict

good luck

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Thank god I'm headin back up north....Bumper law?? Lift laws?? WTF are those? :D lol

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If anyone can get me a link I would appreciate it.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

would be easy to get out of... "i'm on my way to pick up a trailer."

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

"I'm on my way to the recycling center" never cuts any ice if you have empty beer cans in your car.

Getting out of a ticket isn't the point. I'm just checking to see if this law is real or not.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

If your worryed or have been told dont do it. dont worry i have been rear ended 4 times in this truck never left a mark, and i bet that guy in the brand new z28 will never tailgate again.:grin:

if you have a reciver your set dont worry

8. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

in pa it is. dads freind got fined for having his in his hitch. granite it was a rather large pintle, and it stuck out rather far. he did get fined. not sure how much.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cow_Killer is right, illegal in PA. I've never been told that by a cop but I know its true. I left a hitch in the receiver all the time on my K5 but that was laziness. My hitch stuck out farther than my bumper anyway. Backed into a pole at the Mcdonald's in town, didn't even touch my bumper.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i never heard of a law but i like mine in all the time,not that i could get that rusted thing out anyway:laugh: .i don't have any rocks to crawl over and just mostly mud, so clearance isn't much of an issue. but they deffinetly help when being rear ended. ten years ago i was going to work in a pretty good snow storm. when the light turned red i thought (CRAP,i only have rear brakes,AND it's slipperier than snot out). well i hit the brakes smooth like and stopped fine. as i looked in the rearview mirror i saw all kinds of cars sideways,backwards,etc. so much for their anti lock brakes:surepal: and a guy in a newwer t-bird hit me with his drivers door.:) no scratches to the already scratched bumper.:woot:

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here in Texas it unusual to see a truck without a hitch in the receiver. Literally. Most people dont even use locking pins b/c everyone already has a hitch so they're not gonna steal yours. And yes, hitches put a hurtin on them little cars, its a beautiful thing:D

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I made a nice homemade rear receiver box/bumper for the back of my K-10 a few years ago and sitting a light a girl slammed into the rear of the mini-van behind me and showed my drop hitch through the radiator. The girl's insurance paid me $200.00 for the repair. I took it off, heated it with a torch and bingo......had $200.00 in my pocket and was pulling me boat to the river the next day!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

13. boggerless

it was funny, i tried to get moving cuz the other cars that had the green light couldn't move very fast and i was still hit. junkass no brake 79 and I stopped. so i didn't feel sorry for them beleaving in anti-lock:confused: :confused: . that crap doesn't work.:D :D

14. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

I leave my huge pintle hitch on my truck, I never drive without it. All our trucks have 20k pintle hitchs that stick out pretty far in the reciever at all times, and we have never gotten fined.

15. boggerless

cool, here in michigan no one even thinks about hitches, most new trucks and suv's come with them.with the great lakes around us you sorta need one.:laugh:

16. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I've never even thought about that being illegal. I seen tons of trucks driving around with all kinds of hitches in there receivers. Those mutliball hitches that swivel, the ones that slide up and down, pintle hitches. Trucks which extreme drop hitches. but you never know, there are illegal things that people just don't get pull over for except randomally.

17. boggerless

excatly , who cares about a hitch??? commie state,i'd vote those ass wipes out of there.:D

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive never heard of a law in michigan either. been pulled over many times with the hitch in and the cop never said any thing.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same thing in La. Everybody has them. I leave my pintle in all of the time. I don't have a tailgaiter problem at all.:D

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Ahh ok, I guess I'm in the minority then. I still take mine out when I'm through using it. Someone hits the back of my trucks it isn't gonna hurt them (my trucks) anyway. Guess my best bet is to call the state police and ask them. Too many good ol' boys here to get a 'real' answer :D