Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ILLEGAL OR JUST REALLY UNETHICAL?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by unclematty, Nov 13, 2004.

1. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I pick up and deliver sod ash for a living. the the mining companies that "produce" soda ash, have now cut my company off, saying that we have gotten our "allocation" and now must wait until next year, for another allocation, I did a little asking around and discovered that the soda ash companies are limiting the amount of soda ash that is entering the market place to artificially raise the price of soda ash.
    There is no shortage, in fact quite the opposite! over 200 years worth, at current use levels.
    So WTF??? is this illegal or just unethical? kinda sounds like pricefixing or raqueteering or maybe conflict of interest, maybe??

all I know is that, is my job is about to slowdown, dramatically untill the first of the year because of what these liberal fawksticks are doing /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    they won't even allow us to buy any more to save our skins, we got orders to fill and nothing to fill them with.

I beleive the market should set the price according to demand. NOT set the price, by cutting off the supply!!!
    thievin bastards! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    any legal eagle"s with an axe to grind please feel free to help out
    The big problem with this is, All the soda plants have a policy of You get the same amount you got last year, So what happens when your business grows by leaps and bounds like mine did this year??? what do we do? the only other Soda ash plants in the world are in russia, and are so antiquitated, they are not even close to being able to help out we need 150,000 lb's a day to stay operational!
    luckily the owner secured a hud
    ge salt contract, 200,000 metric tons of medium course grade salt, all needs to be bagged in #50 sacks and palletized and shipped so there is work but, whats going on with the soda plants is just wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

OPEC has been doin that [censored] for years...

3. unclematty

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    DAMN !!! you had to remind of them too!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we've been on alocation for junkass owens corning shingles for three months.and they went from $9'00 a bundle to $11'00 a bundle.AND there are six more increases coming in the next four months.actually they are just shy of $40.00 a square. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] US law doesn't apply to OPEC, so his question still has an answer, I don't know it though.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yup stupid eh its called hording.

why are dimonds so expenceive?

because there rare? NO not really no more rare then other stones then why?

one reason is de bears the world larges dimond produser has a vaults and vaults of dimonds worth billions and billions horded away to keep the price up /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. unclematty

what i'm askin is, is there any kind of legal recourse about this kind of thing??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No. No legal recourse. It's not illegal. Can't force an entity (person or company) to sell or buy products. Utilities and government stuff aside...

9. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Unethical yes, Illegal no, Basic supply and demand curve at work. It is their product so they don't have to sell it. If that is a industry standard the government usually will not step in unless a large enough fuss is made over it. Good luck finding work and hope ya stay busy enough untill the new year. That sucks that they are doing that.

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Same thing is going on with Cement and Flyash production in the markets.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

That is just good business strategy to an investor or accountant. To us who actually make a living of off delivering products it is unethical.

It is a very common practice.

12. unclematty

Re: ILLEGAL OR JUST REALLY UNETHICAL????? updated!!

update
    just found out today that we have 1 load of soda ash left to p/u tomorrow and thats it, no more for the rest of the year!
    now I find out that thatcher chemical in SLC was cutoff more than 2 weeks ago and they are laying people off as we speak.

Kennecott copper the worlds largest copper producer is now down to 4 days of reserve soda ash, then they will have to shutdown till they find more soda ash.

the reason I know these things is these companies have come to us in past several days looking for more to purchase, we have none to sell at any price! looks like this will now start to effect the economy around here. damn it must be cool to control so much, by doing so little /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I just want to know what is soda ash exactly, I thought it was the stain in your under wear after a fart from guzzeling a soda? Can you explain it to me no really, I am slow and I rode the short bus to school. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. unclematty

[ QUOTE ]
    I just want to know what is soda ash exactly, I thought it was the stain in your under wear after a fart from guzzeling a soda? Can you explain it to me no really, I am slow and I rode the short bus to school. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Sodium carbanate, used to condition water at treatment facilities, processing of metals, steel aluminum, gold silver ect ect, laundy detergent, fire extinguishers. basically industrial grade baking soda /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    we use it to burn our eyes out of our heads totally dessacate our sinus's, and catarize all small cuts and wounds!! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. sublmnl1990

is it like rock salt? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. sublmnl1990

It always seems to suck when politics /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif have any thing to do with the working man. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. unclematty

It's pure white and about the consitency of laundry detergent, and it's really, really dry, and it tastes like soap(don't ask) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. sublmnl1990

so is it just a left over substance from their drilling or do they make an effort to remove the ash while they are working. I haven't been to school in a while and I am just trying to learn something. So what did you sprinkle it an a pizza or try to snort it and thats how you found out what it tastes like? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. sublmnl1990

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifI just noticed where your from so maybe thats why I haven't heard of it before being out here on the East Coast /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif whew I am going to call my mom and tell her that wearing all that hockey equipment to school even though we didnt have a hockey team wasn't for nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. unclematty

It is made from an ore called Trona, then reduced to sludge, when mixed with water, then settled out, then skimmedoff and cooked to dry it then sold as soda ash. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif