Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Illinois bumper laws

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, Jan 19, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I will most likely be moving back to Illinois next year and I see their bumper laws SUCK!!! 27" front & 29" rear. That's not a whole lot over stock. Soooo, it looks like I will be either shopping or trying to fab my own bumper to get by with my intended lift. Any Illinois K5ers here have any suggestions? Have you been hassled by the cops over your ride height?

Thanx

BPB

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dunno, apparently it is not in effect in Logan County because there are a couple of HUGE lifted 73-87 trucks locally and stock bumpers still mounted stock to frame rails and are WAY higher than 29", only thing have to worry about are lights and tire treads under the fenders lips and not sticking out or they will bust you for that and license plate light too

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

From what I have seen it has alot to do with your local law enforcement. Some of them don't care, while others seem to pull over everyone they think is above the limits. One thing to remember is that if you drive your truck alot you will eventually have to deal with other local law or state law. My truck was 2 inches over in the front and about 3 in the back and never had a problem. I asked a local cop that I know what the law was and he had to look it up. He said he really didn't care as long as I wasn't out tearing up private property or driveing like an ass.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    He said he really didn't care as long as I wasn't out tearing up private property or driveing like an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems to be the local opinion here also. My vehicle is way out of legal and they do not look at me twice. I also try not to draw attention to myself either. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Contact the SOS and get a vehicular code book. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Lift depends on GVRW. It also depends on if the cops wana be dickweeds.

I think that beings k5's are considered carry alls and not trucks(especially if you put car plates on it) then they are pretty much exempt. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

If I ever get something I want to wheel(besideds my z71) I might have to look you Il boys up.....I am in springfield but go to peoria quite a bit

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah, i suppose thats how these guys here locally with the el caminos and grenadas and such on K20 chassies can get away with almost no bumpers and be jacked WAY off ground up up high. theres a realyl sweet silver 80's el camino locally on a K20 chassis thats drool!

i plan on getting a blazer in a couple of few months depending on plant layhoffs ending apparently pretty soon, i gotta figure out how to get one from out west to here though,, cuz thats where im gonna get one from, not from around here, none exist here anyways, so hmm what am i thinking.. i found a 72 junker parts one a few years back and when i got it drug to here ppl were fraking cuz they all thought i chopped top off a pickup i was like uhh no its stock, thats how they were til 76, no one has a clue around here, you dont see 70's and older burbs and blazers and stuff, i have only seen one 69-72 K5 since the one i had back then, thats it. all gone, i really really wanted to make the one i had driveable but i had no engine extra at the time and the body was SO far gone that as soon as id have made it driveable the first few good bumps id have hit would have made bedsides and what was left of the last foot of height of entire lower body fall off and apart so id have had to weld alot of tubing all around inside of tub to tack body in place.
    had to part it, my stupid *ss sold the 205 and 465 for only 75 bucks, i was even more of a moron that day.. should have just kept the combo and chassis... had GM posi/LS 3.07 rear and dana 44 front,, duh for me, live and learn,,, ill have another one though, may be 72-75 thoguh, but oh well, still very cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif im gonna need ideas and suggestion on how to get a K5 from cali or nm or az or somewhere over to central IL

oh and i know of a 77 or79 K20 chassi cab at local towing yard(not salveage yard) thats gonna be crushed cuz the guy is a money hungry b8tch and its already moved to inside the yard so title is porobably already junked and too late now cept for some parts now probably, sad,............ hard ot find them things.. and i know of a K10 or K20 same year or so across town in an alley garage with seat in back of it and hood too i think, probably could get it cheap but i broke right now. would love ot get it for chassis cuz im sure body is junk rotted through badly if is from here in which im sure it is,, hmm want to hurry before yeard getsit and it goes to crusher also,,,

*tries to sell more items*

good luck

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive never had any problems here. I would say unless youre driving stupid and something else illegal the cops dont pay much attention.