Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Illinois emissions

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by 1979jimmy350, Apr 18, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am curently building a 1979 Jimmy. I was wondering what kind of testing I would have to pass. I live in northern Illinois. I have a full time four wheel drive transfer case how would they test that?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

To the best of my knowledge they only test for exhaust emission and that depends on what county you live in. They just put the sniffer in your exhaust pipe /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif and do the test with the truck running. If your truck came with a catalytic convertor you will need to have one. I'm from near St. Louis and there are no emission checks there /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good God, don't scare me like that!! I am surprised that Hellinois hasn't made all vehicles emmission test!! And my Diesel, with nothing emissions on it...

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Emissions? They still do that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Way down here, at the bottom of the state, I can pretty much do what I want to the truck and not worry about that stuff. It's nice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good luck i live in algonquin and all my trucks have been called they failed my 86 cause it was 2 percent off what it should be they suck

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

big pappa

I live in Fairview Heights,IL near St. Louis and we have testing here now now. They started doing testing 5-6 years ago in St.Clair and Madison counties. The neighboring counties which are still mostly rural don't do testing and probably won't.

Here if a vehicle has OBD 2 they just check the computer for codes and check that the gas cap holds pressure.( a good cheap way to help ensure you pass is to get a new gas cap)

If the vehicle is not computer controlled they test the gas cap and sniff the pipe at idle and around 3k RPM or 55 MPH or something under load on a dyno chasis kinda thing. They don't open the hood and check to see if all the crap is there or look underneath to see if it has cats. If it passes the sniff test they let you go. If it doesn't pass, then they start looking around to figure out why.

Hope that helps.

Also, Missouri has been in the news lately cause some politicans and groups are trying to eliminate emissions testing in the St.Louis area cause it is a waste of money and has had no effect on pollution.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Also if you have 35" tires or larger they can't get your truck on the rollers, so they just do a sniff. My truck comes deadline due in July, but I'm hoping to be outta here by then.

You don't live too far out...hope you plan on coming to the badlands run!

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

man i wish i lived by you my truck has 38.5x15x15 and they run it on the dyno /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifman is it fun it watch those fat guys get in that thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It all depends on local laws. I have to test my toyota, but people who live about 15 miles away in the same county dont have to. It is crazy. All i know is that it was a white knuckle experience when i had my toyota tested a few months ago. No cat, no EGR, bigger cam, all it has is a strait pipe from the manifold back. And that sucker STILL passed.

10. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Luckily I live in a rural county (Iroquois) where they don't do that. I'd move before I'd submit to that BS. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey, it's accross the street for me. On the east side of Randall is testing. West of Randall is a no-test area. I live one street east of Randall Road. However, I bet they'll push that border back soon.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey, it's accross the street for me. On the east side of Randall is testing. West of Randall is a no-test area. I live one street east of Randall Road. However, I bet they'll push that border back soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if anything, they're going to reduce the number of tests, not increase it. It's a waste of money to maintain all that equipment as most of the cars on the road are OBD II and don't require that stuff to emissions test.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That would be nice to see, but with more and more cities going to testing and more frequent EPA activity, I find it a bit hard to believe. Hope you're right though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif