Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm 1/2 the man i used to be....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mad-Dog, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Not sure how many of you remember me from way back, but i wanted to drop in and tell ya what's been going on with my life.
    May 14 of this year i was out riding my motorcycle down in Sebring, Fl and was hit, knocked down and run-over by a care-less motorist..
    6 broken ribs, broken collar-bone, shoulder-blade, acetabulum, sacreum, right hand in 2 places, hip/pelvis in 3 places, broken back, bruised spleen, collapsed lung (left side) and severed spinal cord at T-12..
    3 months at Tampa General and 3 more months at the VA hospital in San Antonio, Tx and i am starting a new life here in Tx with my parents.
    The accident left me paralyzed from the waist down and i spend most of my time in bed or my wheelchair.
    I picked up a 4wd Chevy Van and put a wheelchair lift on it so i can continue cherishing my love for Chevy's and the great outdoors.
    I'm 1/2 the man i used to be and saw the end of my previous life, now i am watching my new life unfold in front of me.
    Needless to say the wreck left me financially secure for the rest of my life so I'm retired now and just enjoy the simple things in life....Take er easy

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good God man, thats a hell of a story! You're truly lucky to be alive... you may never walk again but at least you still have your life.

Hopefully you're still able to all the things you used to love doing. God Bless.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I am glad you are not dead. Thank you for sharing your experience and your positive attitude.

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Keep your head up and welcome to Texas!!!:D

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bienvenidos a San Antonio! im glad youre ok and no worries man, i hope you like mexican food!

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

you mean tex-mex??:D

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you made it through all of that. Wow, best of luck to your continuous health. I'm glad you can look at the positive side of things. More people should have your outlook...

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Sorry man, I have to disagree with you. You are NOT 1/2 the man you used to be. YOUR a FIGHTER and have overcome such tremendous odds. That makes YOU TWICE if NOT MORE the MAN you used to be. G-d Bless You! This story gives everyone hope! :laugh::wink1::D

Manny

9. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

couldnt have said it better

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Awesome, glad that you have a positive outlook. Now, how about some pics of the van?

11. SierraJim

SierraJim Registered Member

Glad to hear they haven't killed your spirit. You are a real fighter. You know there are lift kits available for the chevy vans, (mini and fullsize). Quigley has even been out to Moab with their vans, and Boondocks has a couple of kits. So, how about pics of the van??

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Wow. I'm inspired by your spirit.Thanks for the update and glad you're doing better.:waytogo:

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Ditto to all. I say it's time for CK5 to have a wheeler van. :thumb:

14. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yes this is very true. Im glad to hear that you are doing ok now and still have a positive attitude. Ive always said that if I lost use of my legs that I would rather just die but Ive never been in that situation and you have just inspired me. amazing story.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Friend of mine is in a chair. Has been for 15+ years. Drives an S-10 in desert races that he pretty much built himself starting about 3 years ago. His favorite saying is "Walking is over-rated."
    :bow:

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

That's cool. :bow:

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I also have a friend, great friend works in a salvage yard and gets me lots of cool stuff for free, and though he is not in a wheelchair he did lose a leg a few years back in an accident. right now he currently drives an 85 1/2 ton with a 6 inch lift and 35s. he lives just up the road from me and I watched him build a truck, started with just a frame and built it till it was legal and driveable by himself. its hard for him to get around cause he has to use crutches but he does some truly amazing work with what he has to work with. got some really strong arms too.:D

18. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah I will second that, my uncle is a partial parapelegic(sp?), he broke his back over a railroad tie from a 20ft fall about 10 years ago, although he doesnt have complete control over his legs he is back to walking with a cane and he definitely has some popeye quality fore-arms from having to carry his body weight plus anything else he carries. Trust me bro, I feel for you, it will be hard, but it can be done so no fear, full steam ahead. They also have some pretty sweet hand brake setups which Im sure you already know about. My uncle Mike has some on an early 90s cummins and is pretty nice so you never know what is out there waiting for you. Best of luck.

Regards,
    Remington

19. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

One of the best jeep mechanics I have ever known is in a chair. Has the craziest air adustable garage floor creeper that would lift up to 2 feet off the floor so he could lay on it to work on suspensions. To say he believes nessesity is the mother of invention would be putting it mildly. Walked into his shop one day and found him hanging from a custom made sling he made hooked to his roof hoist so he could change out an ignition system more easily. Makes me feel like a total yutz when I climb under the hood of my Blazer to work...

Hook up with some local Hams and get on the air with us. In ham radio you can have friends all over the world and never leave town!

Keep being an example to others like you are now. I only hope I would have half the gumption you have shown if I was in your place!

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Jeez, bro.. truely sorry to hear that. My father spent 33 years or so in a wheelchair, and lived a perfectly happy life. It seemed to me, that the best theropy was a positive outlook. It sounds like you have that. Just remember that there will probably be highs and lows, just like anyone else has. Just keep your chin up, and roll with it. The main thing is that you are still around to enjoy the company of your family, and they you. Like you said, focus on the things that make you happy, and fill your time with that.

Best of luck to you