Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im a idiot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 17, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I have a hi-tq mini starter I bought from the local speed shop its a great starter but I had it off and while I did I went and got new nuts and washers for it(trying to make sure I dont have any loose connections) ANYWAYS IT has 3 spots for wires 1: the main power wire 2: the little wire 3: a ground wire that goes to another ground that is a hard non flexible thing well I was putting that new nut on and well I BROKE the stud (I forgot these are copper or brass) after playing with this for a wile I figure out that this stud does nothing but keep the wires from shaking to much and breaking off the main power wire stud does go to somthing but I dident brake that one(yet). There is no way to get this stud out with out CUTTING the starter apart so what Im wondering is can I drill and tap the stud for somthing like a 8-32 or so to go in there to hold them from shaking OR can I just drill a little piolot hole and use a regular skrew like a brass wood skrew or sheet metal skrew?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmmm maybe you could drill and tap it. That might work. I have a similar stupid mistake. Putting my cover on my 14b..guess I went to much or there was some rust in the threads..anyway I just put a little muscle on it...[snap] /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Now there is an easyout broke off in there too. Don't know what to do /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

since its the stud for the ground, just solder the ground wire to the ground loop and then put a bolt and some washers and a nut through the loop and wire end and it will be fine...