Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm a regular post whore today. A complicated question for all...(long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I\'m a regular post whore today. A complicated question for all...(long)

Ok, living in Cali, currently anything 1974 or earlier requires no smog check. Having this in mind, and thinking how cool it would be to have a Blazer that the whole top comes off, my search for a 73-75 Blazer began. I finally bought one in Fremont for $3300 w/ a ton of extra parts. I started working away and then later stumbled on another 74 in Berkeley with a pristine body for only $1500 because of a blown head gasket. I bought that one too. I had already done the frame project on the first frame, as well as the Corp14ff rear. I also bought a D60 for the front. So, I combine the two, keeping the HD stuff, and come up with a Blazer to sell, and the rest will be the long term project Blazer.

Here is my quandry. After spending about $1500 in all new gaskets, rubber, interior parts, misc parts, etc., to get the one ready to sell, now I'm thinking that it sure was a pain in the butt sealing up the full length top on it. Since it is so complicated, I'm also wondering if I will ever take the top off when I finish it. So, riddle me this.. Should I finish the lower half of my project, which includes a 383 stroker crate motor, Bowtie OD tranny, NP205, new drivelines, etc. and then shop for a 76 or newer body to slap on? Or should I stay with the 74 body? If I find a non-running 76 or 77, I could drop it on my lower half. I'm curious if the constant flexing with the full size top causes leaks. It would seem that the newer half tops would seal better. My 90 Bronco I sold never leaked.

Would my 74 body be easy to sell? Would there be a demand for the full top off body for anyone who wanted to drop it on an existing Blazer or do a project? I thought I had done a lot of homework prior to this purchase, but as usual, things change.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m a regular post whore today. A complicated question for all...(long)

Ummmm... yes!

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I would keep it, take the top off and enjoy it. If you really want to sell the body, you would get someone to buy it.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Taking the top on and off sucks but is doable. I like the soft top the best.

You live in CA...why do you need a roof anyway?

5. Desert Rat

I run around in the Nevada desert a lot around Bodie, Bridgeport, Yerington, Hawthorne, etc. Hard rain is sudden and frequent, even in the summer. I have a soft top now but was going to sell it with the rig for sale. I'm debating getting a new one if I keep the 74.

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well its never not gonna leak by design thats just the way it is...so buy a 76 or newer and swap the tags so its a 74 and sell the 74 as a converted 76 and your all set /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Putting up with the leaking roof on the '74 'Builds Character'... When I was 'Poor' (the first time) I bought old GM T-top cars that always leaked. Never regretted it though. When the tops were out I forgot all those rainy nights sitting on a towel...

But if you must get rid of the '74, call me!!! Maybe I'll have a job by then!!!

Cheers,
    Scott

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it doesn't sound like u are that concerned about being topless, so i say sell the 74 to some one that will appriecate (splg) it & ucan be content w/ a 77-78.i run a 75 & i would not consider trading into anything newer. if u ever run a full convertible the late models loose their flare. my 88 k5 (dd) pisses me off when it is topless. all i can think about is putting the saw zall to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Desert Rat

I saw your other post about the 77 you might sell. I am selling one of the 74's within the month. Then the question will be what to do with the second one. One thing is set, I will finish the lower half with all the goodies I have planned. The only question will be whether or not I slap on a 76 or newer body, or put the 74 body back on. Send me a PM and tell me what you are looking at price wise on that 77 if you sell it...