Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm about to score a 3/4 14b with 4.56-Have some q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Apr 10, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna go pick up a 14 bolt I found at the picknpull, gonna get there as soon as it opens, I dont want to miss out on this one. And it has 4.56 gears, just what I was looking for :D. Awhile ago I was talking to a member on here and he told me some inline 6 chevys had a 14b with 4.56 :bow: so I looked around and found an inline 6, popped the cover and on the gears it said 9 41 in there somewhere which I assume means ring and pinion. The teeth werent chipped or worn or anything they were perfect. It looks like a gov loc to me but I'm not really sure since I'm not positive as to what one looks like. I searched for pics but couldnt find any, anyone want to enlighten me? I know Ill have to get new 8 lug rims, my 15" rims arent gonna fit right? So thatll mean new tires...How hard is it to convert my front d44 to 8 lug? Just how heavy is a 14b (read: how many people is gonna take to get the thing loaded into my truck?)? I know Ill have to get a new u-joint too, anything else I'll need? I have 4" blocks, is the 14b gonna screw up my pinion angle? Anyone in the bay area wanna help me load up this beast (its mostly off the truck exept the shocks, didnt have hardly any tools so that's why I didnt get it today)? How much could I get for my 12b 4.10 posi/anyone interested?
    Sorry for the long post...thanks in advance guys :bow::bow:

EDIT: Also, the shock tabs (or whatever their called- what bolts the shocks to the axle) are way lower than on my current axle, is it simple to grind those off and weld on different ones or the same ones in a different location (higher up on the axle)? And should my old rancho rs500 shocks work still with the new axle?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Try doing a search or two, many of these subjects have been covered in great detail.

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

alright...first off your prolly gonna need a second person unless your the incrediable hulk...you should be able to run the 15s fine...i think a gov loc has 3 cross pins and a detroit 4 but dont quote me on that...the front conversion isnt bad...just hubs and backing plates but the backing plates are hard to find...if you need a set lemme know...the 14 bolt will shove your shaft (assuming you have a slip yoke)into the trasfer case more (has a longer pinion)..and last you will need to move the perches and shock tabs if its out a 1 ton...if its in a 3/4 ton you should be alright...good luck with the 12 bolt...

4. twoslo4five0

x2 agreeded but he is not a member so he cant serch...

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

So mabey its time to pony up 25 bones and support the best truck site on the web.:D :D :bow: :bow:

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

From what i remember a 14ff with the large drums weighs about 550lbs. Gonna take a few good sized guys to lift it into a truck. Yes you will need a conversion joint. Since you say the shock brackets hang much lower than yours this means it is a 2WD axle, that's the only difference between 2WD and 4WD.

7. lochenjons

Ha yeah I'm about to be, I've been meaning too but havent got around to it. I guess I should hurry up and do it...untill then I've been using the google site:coloradok5.com method. Yeah it's 3/4 so I wont have to move the perches. Will the shaft getting shoved back so far be a problem at all?

8. lochenjons

Yes I forgot to say it is 2wd. I could just weld those to be the same as the 4wd pretty easily right?

9. twoslo4five0

i dont know about that im inboarding my rear shocks!!!

10. lochenjons

I just reread the ck5 article on the conversion and it cost $575?? :eek1: Thats definately not gonna happen for me for that price. Which earlier version of the d44 needs 3/4 ton spindles to do the conversion. Is '77 an "earlier version"?

11. twoslo4five0

some 44s had a bigger spindle but i have a couple and none of them have diffrent size spindles....just buy a whole setup from someone or buy a whole front axle...44 8 lug axles and parts 4 them are cheap on here...10 bolts are interchangeable to a certain extent..some stuff is metric on a 10 bolt but the major pieces are all the same..at least from the knuckle out...i hope this helps some

12. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

that was from goldwing2000.

Im in the middle of the exact same thing right now. Im converting my 10bolt though. I just got the parts and am waiting on my new rims. I got a set of eaton 8 lug conversion rims 15" from national tire. I had to have everything rewelded on my 14ff because it was from a one ton. I found a local fab shop to do it. And dont forget the backing plates for the u-bolt. The yard had a fork lift to load it for me but i had to unload myself and that was a pain. thought i was going to break a leg getting it out if the truck. you also need all new lug nuts to 9/16". starts to get a bit pricey for me. hope its worth it :D.think my wife is going to kill me spending all my attention on my truck.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Thanks for posting that, so I didn't have to. :D

Just fyi, the price on the Rock Auto hub/rotors is up to $60+, now. I guess the word got out! Still cheaper than any place locally for me, though.

14. lochenjons

Oh nice thanks! Well I got the thing home today, you guys werent kidding about it being heavy. Ill post some pics up tommorow, and maybe find out if its a govloc or what.

15. lochenjons

Ok here are some pics...

Notice my ghetto way of moving it around my driveway untill I can find some 8 lug wheels, it barely supports the weight of the axle
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/PICT0045.jpg?t=1176404623
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/?action=view&current=PICT0046.jpg

Is this is a govloc? or?
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/?action=view&current=PICT0048.jpg
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/?action=view&current=PICT0042.jpg
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/?action=view&current=PICT0044.jpg

And how can I get the brake line off the splitter type thing to attach my brake lines? I just cut the other end so hopefully thats not what I'm supposed to attach :doah:
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/?action=view&current=PICT0047.jpg

EDIT: nvm about the brake lines, I'm gonna have to use the old ones on the 12b, the ones on the 14b were so tight I couldnt get them off and they stripped real easy

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  16. lochenjons

Anyone know what that is (govloc, etc)? I wanna seal up the cover soon but not if someone needs a better pic or numbers inside, etc to figure it out.:1zhelp:
    thanks guys

17. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It looks to be a gov-lock. Rotate the carrier around and count how many large holes are in the carrier at the case halves. If there are 4 holes it is an open carreir, if there are only 3 then it is a gov-lock.

18. lochenjons

I assume you mean these holes correct? http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/PICT0050.jpg?t=1176489419
    If so, theres 3 so looks to be a gov-loc.

And speaking of holes, is there supposed to be a hole in the cover about half way up on the side? All the covers I looked at at the picknpull had the same hole in the same place but it just didnt look like it was supposed to be there.
    You cant really see in this pic but heres about where it is.... (between the bolt holes, the orange line kinda points to it almost)
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/lochenjons/PICT0051.jpg?t=1176489452

I cant see why it would come with a hole there?? I supposed i can weld it or put a bunch of rtv over it.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Definitely a gov-lock. The cone-shaped right half of the carrier is a dead give-away.

The hole in the cover is probably where they drained the fluid or something. All fluids must be drained from a vehicle before it goes in a junk yard to avoiod contamination of ground water and such.

Just weld it shut.

20. lochenjons

Alright the swaps going smoothly now, got my axle off and the 14b ready to go in...except for one thing: 8 lug 15" wheels are rediculously hard to find...at least for cheap :doah:. Ha I went to autozone to try to get the conversion ujoint and just got a blank stare. Ended up getting that and most of what I needed from Central Coast 4WD :bow:. Great place for anyone in the bay area :waytogo: