Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im already getting bad gas mileage so help me boost performance :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Oct 5, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

I say to out with gas mileage. I get 8-10 miles with a 1979 blazer with a 350 and stock engine and carb. So if I can increase performance I dont think the gas mileage can get any worse. I also have straight pipe with hedders and glasspacks (cherry bombs). I am not too pleased with the performance of the rodchester carb. So I was looking to put a edelbrock manifold and carb on this engine. I started looking and did not realize there are so many choices. I have choice overload!! I want to keep the price low (Im not building a hot rod or show truck) and I dont want to hurt tork. Any suggestions?!

Also in regard to the mufflers I read that straight pipe with glasspipes actually hurt your performance because of no back pressure. I was thinking about buying two flowmaster 40's to put on here. Is that a wise use of $100 or should I leave it alone. Im one a budget. I just bought a set of rancho rsx shocks to replace the stock rusted out ones. Im hoping that will improve my ride....but It hit my truck budget pretty hard.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Trust me your mileage can get worse with different mods. I would bet that a performer intake and carb would help. That is what I have on my 406 but I never was able to test a difference from stock because I went from a stock 350 to my 406 with the mods. dual 40series is what I have and they are loud as hell. I like it loud but it is louder than some people prefer so make sure thats what you want. Shocks should help a lot if the stock one are shot.

3. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answers. Im really thinking the ranchos will help alot. There is probably not anything wrong with my stock carb and manifold. I might just be better leaving it alone. Are the flowmasters louder than my dual cherry bombs? I cant see how. However loudness does not really matter to me. I just done want to hurt the engine or performance buy having no backpressure to the engine.

4. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answers. Im really thinking the ranchos will help alot. There is probably not anything wrong with my stock carb and manifold. I might just be better leaving it alone. Are the flowmasters louder than my dual cherry bombs? I cant see how. However loudness does not really matter to me. I just done want to hurt the engine or performance buy having no backpressure to the engine.

5. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

6. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

took me 4 hours to post this message then it posted 3 times accidentally. Sorry about that. Im having alot of trouble with the forums and this was the whole reason I signed up. I cant read most of the messages and when I post I keep getting timeout errors. Am I the only one having these problems? Anyways I digress and sorry for the triple post.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

put a blower on it!!!!!!!

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

stock carb needs to go, or at least give it a good tear down, dip in carb acid and rebuild it, stock manifold is probably restricting the hell out of the motor too...

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I probably wouldnt mess with the motor alot if its in good shape because getting serious HP requires a tear down and rebuild of the motor and lots of $$$$$$. but you could maybe get an extra 20 to 30 HP with a few bolt on things.IMHO it isn't worth spending 500 bucks for 20 to 30HP on a stock motor. Flowmaster 40's are louder than cherry bombs, not a lot but they are louder and sound a LOT better.

10. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

iagree, i ran 40s on my 77 K5 for 2 years, for some reason i decided to try out glasspacks and they were actually a little quieter. Eventhough flows are louder, they have a much deeper tone the packs do. Packs hav a higher growly pitch to it. I say go with 40s or 50s if you worried about loudness /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

When was the last time it was tuned up?
    Do what you can to open that sucker up breathing wise. What size pipes are you running? Are you crawling or mudding with it? How many miles on that motor?
    A freshly rebuilt Q-jet would be a good start. A K&N will help bring air in more easily. Stock intakes are really restrictive. I've like my performer intake from edelbrock.
    50 series flows will give you a good throaty sound without being too loud if'n that's what you're wanting. There's tons of stuff you can do without cracking the motor open.

12. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

I just got it and tuned it up when I got it.
    Im pretty sure I can put an edelbrock carb and manifold on this engine for $200 and a 20-30hp is great on a stock engine of 165hp.
    I only get into the mud and offroad on trails. Nothing fancy.
    Im not worried about the loudness or sound of the mufflers I was just told that the two glasspacks (cherry bombs) are not good for my engine. That was the reason for the concerns about changing mufflers. The engine has 105,000 miles on it.

I have a friend with a 77 chevy pickup that has a steel cover welded on the back to cover up his bed (much much heavier than my fiberglass top). He has an edelbrock manifold and carb. I think torker or torker 2 and 650cfm carb. His stock engine in his truck can blow me away. Not that Im wanting to race or anything. I just figure if you have a v8 and a 4barrel it should be faster than the 22r in my toyota /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif hahaha

I was just wondering if someone can tell me how many cfms or what carb is good on this engine and what manifold is recommended.....torker torker 2 performance or whatever....there is 15 different choices and I have no idea what a bad choice or good choice is.

13. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When was the last time it was tuned up?
    Do what you can to open that sucker up breathing wise. What size pipes are you running? Are you crawling or mudding with it? How many miles on that motor?
    A freshly rebuilt Q-jet would be a good start. A K&N will help bring air in more easily. Stock intakes are really restrictive. I've like my performer intake from edelbrock.
    50 series flows will give you a good throaty sound without being too loud if'n that's what you're wanting. There's tons of stuff you can do without cracking the motor open.

[/ QUOTE ]

turned it up when I bought it. The pipes are 2.25 I believe. Its hard to measure them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the replacement K&N filter on there already. Im using the stock air breather though. I bought a chrome one on ebay. It was 14" and came with the paper element. The K&N didnt fit in it.

I've seen people selling the Q-Jet on ebay. Is it better than the rodchester? How do I know its been rebuilt?

14. Confedneck

quadrajet is rochester...

15. muddin4fun

If you're wanting to go edelbrock carbs (it will give you trouble on angles...uphill mostly) I'd go with 600cfm.

16. Confedneck

edelbrock offers an offroad needle and seat package along with some other parts to make their carbs a little better in off camber situations..

17. muddin4fun

Yeah, I know. It makes it a *little* better. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a friend with a 77 chevy pickup that has a steel cover welded on the back to cover up his bed (much much heavier than my fiberglass top). He has an edelbrock manifold and carb. I think torker or torker 2 and 650cfm carb. His stock engine in his truck can blow me away. Not that Im wanting to race or anything. I just figure if you have a v8 and a 4barrel it should be faster than the 22r in my toyota hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

What gear ratio in your axles? 31" tires and 3.08 gears will kill both gas mileage and performance. But not sure if that is your problem yet... lower gearing will help off the line performance better than most engine upgrades.

19. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have a friend with a 77 chevy pickup that has a steel cover welded on the back to cover up his bed (much much heavier than my fiberglass top). He has an edelbrock manifold and carb. I think torker or torker 2 and 650cfm carb. His stock engine in his truck can blow me away. Not that Im wanting to race or anything. I just figure if you have a v8 and a 4barrel it should be faster than the 22r in my toyota hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

What gear ratio in your axles? 31" tires and 3.08 gears will kill both gas mileage and performance. But not sure if that is your problem yet... lower gearing will help off the line performance better than most engine upgrades.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I tell?

20. Confedneck

well you could pull the diff covers and read the numbers on the ring gear, which will list the pinion teeth and ring gear teeth, just divide the larger by the smaller and voila..