Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm an idiot.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Dec 8, 2004.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I was building my 350 a few years back I ordered my engine kit online. It had three options for cams. So I just picked the biggest one. Today I went back to the site to see what the cam duration and lift was because I'm going tbi and needed the info when I get my new chip burnt. Now the site list all kinds of important info with each cam.
    My cam specs read: Comp Cam 12-210-2, 1500-5000 Rpm, 268 Duration, 454 lift, Valve springs must be changed, 2500+ stall required and not computer compatible.
    I've been running this engine for about 4 years and didn't "change the valve springs" or run a 2500 stall.

Will I have to buy another cam to make my tbi work?
    Should I be running a stall?
    Can my chip be burnt to work with this cam.
    Should I have my valve springs redone?

I had the heads redone at the time of the rebuild, but I'm running a factory tc.

What would you do? FYI I don't pay anyone to do anything other than machine work so I'm not taking it to a mechanic.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd call up Comp Cams, tell them what you have and what you want too do. I'm pretty sure they're going too recomend a different cam, but if you want the TBI set up too work propperly, it's worth it. Don't feel bad, most people over cam thier engines.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think your fine with the valve springs and torque converter.

as for the TBI, give eagle mark a PM and see what he thinks, he also programs the chips for TBI :thumb:

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need to research the cam specs against what TBI can handle. If a cam is to wild the cam won't create enough vacuum (i believe). Cam's can be to wild for a MAP based system which TBI is. A custom chip could help but I can't answer that for you.

If your cam is to wild for TBI you may look into TPI. The MAF version TPI can handle more wild cams then an MAP system. The other option is to change out your cam.

As for the TC I can't really say anything on that.

Harley

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Part Number 12-210-2
    Engine 1955-1998 Chevrolet
    262ci-400ci
    8cyl.
    Grind Number CS 268H-10
    Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intake Exhaust
    Valve Adjustment 0 0
    Gross Valve Lift 0.454 0.454
    Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 268 268

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.006
    Open Close
    Intake 28 60
    Exhaust 68 20

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 106 Intake CL
    Intake Exhaust
    Duration At 0.05 218 218
    Lobe Lift 0.3026 0.3026
    Lobe Separation 110

Recommended Valve Springs 981-16

No way that thing is going to work with TBI. Too much duration and too narrow LSA.

Sorry man. :(

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

always run the recomended valve spring for any given cam.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't think its going to optimal for injection either , but that is a great streetable ( still lets power brakes etc work since its not as wild as it sounds ) cam for a 350 with a carb :k5: :k5:

8. clarkjw24

When I ordered the cam. It didn't have all of those warning specs, now I feel like a real dumb$hit. I'm also planning to run my air gap intake with the squarebore adaptor on this tbi setup (which I already have ready to go). I think that the easiest thing will be to change the cam. So any recommendations on a good low torque cam? (brands and part#s please) I think I'm going to email or call the guys that burn chips also and ask them before I do anything else but sounds like I've fudge up and I'm going to have to spend a little more money before installation.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Comp and Crane both make computer freindly cams. They're listed in their catalogs online. Compare some specs and make your choice from there.

I'd go for 112-114 LSA, and about a 205/215 @ .050" depending on other specs of course.

Keep in mind there's no EGR in a performer RPM intake due to no passage for it.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is the same cam I have in my 406 and I used the correct valve springs when I had the heads assembled. I don't know about needing a 2500 stall though. :screwy: When I had my tranny built I gave them the cam specs and said a stock stall should work fine.

11. clarkjw24

I thought I've read that you didn't have to have EGR. Just not as good on gas, which I don't care about. Its going on a trail rig only.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 406 is 16% bigger than a 350, so that cam pretends it's 16% smaller. You're comparing apples to oranges there.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I was reading through this and realized that I have exactly the same cam.:doah:

I had originally planned to keep the K5 carbureted, but I was looking at swapping in TBI this summer.

Did you find anything more about using this cam with TBI? I really don't want to swap out the cam I have now.

14. clarkjw24

Not yet. It being the weekend I haven't had a chance to call or email any chip programers or talk to anyone else. I'm probly gonna try the tbi first and then if I can't get it to run/perform right change the cam. Its gonna be a few weeks before I start the conversion. I've got to get my DD K5 up to par first. I look to be heavy into tbi by the end of Dec.