Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Oct 22, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So still wiring the K5. I hook up the Stereo HU, as I've done in the past, just to listen to it, while I'm wiring other circuits, makes me feel accomplished.
    Anyhow, I have some switches right above it (in the blank cavity above the HVAC unit). Since I'm not done wiring, the switches are all just hanging loose there. While I lifted the HU to check on something, it's metal body came in contact with 1/8" of an exposed + switch contact. I used push on sealed connectors on those contacts too, just the small little exposed bit because I didn't push it on completely yet.
    I smelled my problem right away. The tunes stopped.
    I hope nothing happened to the $$$ amps, I don't think anything did. The HU is definitly fried. Won't turn on now. Truck isn't even done yet, and I've fried the HU! Damit!
    Well, nothing a couple of beers and a few bucks won't fix...

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's why my garage is equipped with an AM/FM/Casette/CD shelf system. :deal:

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At least you didn't start anything on fire...

Last weekend I was welding up some sliders for a buddy. Stopped welding, the crackling continued, looked over and a shop rag was on fire about 4" away from my mom's '06 Mustang. :doah:

I've got a nice Rockford HU waiting for my buggy to be done but I could part with it for a right price.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well that sucks!

5. 73k5blazer

Yep, I knew that smell right away. The fried small electronics smell. j

But I like to look at things on the positive side. I'll be getting an extra face plate, and extra wireless remote!

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Took a step further , tapped into my cable TV , old cable ready 19 inch box . Watched the Detroit game last night while I installed my new antennas and radio gear in the Blazer :D

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

BTDT, jus recently I fried my switch and all the wiring goin to my HELLROARING dual battery isolator. Here is what I did:

I was working on the truck and need all the power wires discod so I didnt short anything out, with dual batts that means all the wires need discod. Well I pulled the main big gauge wire off the Batt isolator and instead of moving it outa the way, it came in contact with the switch on/off terminal. I had smoke pouring out from under my dash, the switch was located in the glove box and the isolator is located on drivers side wheel well. so that whole length of wire got fried all the way to the ground inside the switch. And none of the fuses blew. Luckily the power surge confined itself to the wiring and $40dollar switch, so I ordered new from hellroaring and crossed my fingers that the $300 isolator wasnt fried. All was well and worked out.

So, I feel your pain, BTDT. :D

9. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I call that smell the magic smoke. My wife let some out of a vacuume cleaner a week ago and it never ran again. I work with lots of electronic cards, cpu's and small motors and clutches at work. I smell it quite often.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ewwwww that smell!..cantcha smell that smell??...

I smell that sickening "burnt electronics" smell all too often too!--usually when I try fudging a repair without dissconnecting the battery ,so I wont have to re-set the stations in my radio,or in the case of newer computerized vehicles,having to drive them several miles for the computer to "re-learn" all its settings..one false move,and ZAP!--I let the smoke out of the wires!..:doah:

Just yesterday at my friends shop, we got a heavy dose of that putrid smell--since its now dropping to the 30's here at night,flouresesnt light bulbs in his shop are now flickering and failing to light...we tried swapping in bulbs from another light that was working fine,the ones in the "bad"light were flickering because the bulbs were old and had black burnt spots on the ends(so we thought anyway)..

About 5 minutes after we changed bulbs,the ballast started humming,and the lights went OFF!..then back on for about a minute,more humming ,then darkness again!...next thing we know,we hear a sizzling noise,and a huge cloud of acrid smoke bellows out of the ballast,with some black tar crap oozing out of it (probably PCB'S!!:eek1: )...so much for that light fixture!..:doah:

I swapped my shops bulbs back to incandesant floodlights--at least they WORK in cold weather,and put out some decent heat too,as a bonus!...might use more electricity,but at least I can SEE,and don't get that annoying "strobe light" effect from them flickering constantly..:crazy:

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ohh did that one last week. I figured I would trace down why my fog lights stopped working on my grand am. All fuses were good and the relays seemed to work so I figured hmm I can just rig this up like this. Next thing I know the potentiometer that controls the interior lights started belching smoke out of it. wow did I hear it from the g/f..lol oh not to mention the dash lights didn't work. Note to self, next time do not be lazy and guess what wires do. GET OUT METER

12. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

Smokes what everything electrical runs off of it's easy to get it out but a pain in the A#$ to put back in.

13. 73k5blazer

I got a new one today. It works splendidly.
    I thought about stuffing the broken one in the box and telling the merchant they sent me a bum one. But, that would be morally wrong. I broke the damn thing, I get to pay for it.
    I did think about trying to fix it, I've got a soldering iron and some minimal equiptment, I'm not a small electronics expert by any means though. My expierence is limited to fixing a couple of obvious things, like my brothers eagle premier had some bad component on the main board of the computer for the car, and internet search told me where to look. Ordered a new one from Digi-Key and soldered it in.
    I wonder if I take this thing apart, I'll probably see some burnt component or burn spot on the board somewhere, I wonder how easy or hard it would be? Anybody have much expierience with small electronics?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Might want too send it in too be repaired. If it’s going too cost more then it’s worth (to you) then no loss, let them keep it. I had too send a JVC KD-LX50 into JVC for repair when it started acting up. Only cost fifty some bucks, so wasn’t that bad of a deal at all. Just a thought.

15. 73k5blazer

I took it apart just for fun to see if there was anything obvious.
    The only thing obvious is the trace running from the ground pin to it's first major stop is fried, all burnt and bubbled up. Nothing else *looks* fried, the trace is the only thing I can see.
    I might try just to jump those two locations and see if it fires up.

Is a trace repairable? It's a pretty wide one, so it's not like it's super fine tedious or anything.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you know, if you can catch all of the magic smoke, they can put it back in and the device will work again.

17. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

Fixing a burnt trace is no problem just clean up the burned part and solder in a jumper wire. Just make sure you don't get it to hot.

18. 73k5blazer

I took it to a local small electronics repair place. He said he could do a trace for $10. But after furthur inspection,there were 4 burned traces, and several fried small components.He showed me under his magnyfying glass. He said he could fix it all, but it would be well over $100, so not really worth it.
    Oh well, it was worth a shot.
    On the bright side, now I have a spare face plate, remote, and internal parts (except for the main board) :)