Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm at the end of my rope....i need some help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72K5BEAST, Mar 22, 2002.

1. 72K5BEAST

72K5BEAST Registered Member

I\'m at the end of my rope....i need some help

Hey everyone, well...i've reached the end of my rope with my truck. It just won't work out. I recently took it in to have the sputtering problem fixed cause after i turned the truck off it would sputter and diesel so i had it fixed. Well it worked fine for awhile but then it started to die after it warmed up. So i took it back in. I just got my truck back and it's sputtering and dieseling again. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? I just can't figure it out. My mechanic said that the truck would ever really idle right and that it has a weird cam(?) on it. PLEASE HELP! Thank you guys so much for your help.

Charlie

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m at the end of my rope....i need some help

To stop the dieseling problem you can shut it off in gear(if its an automatic) I have to do this in my Firebird because it has to idle at 1000 rpms in park or it will die when I put it in gear. It only drops to 800 rpms, but with the big cam ( over 525 lift) I need it to idle at least at 800 rpms in gear. Just get use to shutting it off in gear, or try playing with the carb to get it really close to a happy medium. BTW what kinda carb?

3. 72K5BEAST

it's a quadra-jet and last time this happened shutting it off in gear worked for awhile but then it started dieseling anyway even when i shut it off in gear.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Find a new mechanic...

Rene

5. DesertDueler

I agree with Rene then, if it would diesel even in gear.

6. 72K5BEAST

well, i'm not sure that it will diesel in gear now that i've gotten it back, but last time it did. So i guess i need to just wait and see....could it be my carb?

7. DesertDueler

It could be. What did he do the first time exactally and what did he do this time?

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I would go and buy a timing light and reset the timing,but first you need to set the idle speed then you can set the timing, There should be a screw on the drivers side of the carb by the throttle lickage ,I think clockwise to speed up and counter clockwise to slow down.then you can set the timing like the book says.. That worked for me...And I got all that info from this great site, Thanks to those who helped me-mike

9. DesertDueler

You set the idle after you do the timing because your idle will change with timing if its really off.

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What desertdueler said....Dan

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well yes and no. If it's idling high it may get the mechanical advance going. It has to be withing a reasonable amount of correct idle speed. Then adjust the timming reset the idle and make sure that the timming stayed where you set it once the idle is correct.
    Now as far as this diesling problem.....are you running 87octane? cheap gas or decent gas?
    Some times dieseling is caused by carbon build up. Carbon can come from a lot of different things including addatives from the fuel. Try running some STP in the silver bottle that is listed as FI and valve cleaner. If that cures it this is a carbon problem.
    Also another thing here is your trucks engine was designed to run on leaded fuel. The lead helped control dieseling and ping in higher compression engines. This may be a matter of old engine and new fuel not agreeing. If so your going to have to run at least mid grade if not super and might even have to put a lead substitue in.

12. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Try putting on a 12 volt idle solenoid to adjust your throttle blade opening. So when your ignition is off your throttle blades are close all the way,so no air can combust with the fuel & heat. With the ign. turn to on or start the solenoid opens the throttle blades a little for it to idle. Got reed of my eng dieseling with 92 octane. laters...........................