Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm back, and a 454 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stu454, May 18, 2005.

1. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

After an absence of about eight months, I have returned.

It's good to be back!

Now to the question.

We're thinking about a K2500 Suburban for towing and light wheeling. Lots of these come with the 454/7.4L Vortec. From my old Tahoe, I know most of the ins and outs of the 350/5.7, but the 454 is a new bird for me.

Any quirks that I should keep an eye out for when shopping for a used one in the '97-'99 range?

Thanks in advance,

2. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

yeah, on the 97-99 models there was a recall on the radiator fan. Gm said it would somehow spin loose...therefore causing it to overheat!!(not good). So when looking just ask the owner if he had that replaced...if he hasn't it's GM's responsibility to put on a new one for free...
    hope that helps.
    Ooh yeah, see if a 00' isn't in your price range...in 2000 they updated all of the electronics causing less problems....and if you ever wanna buy an aftermarket computer chip you'll notice the 2000 models are a lot cheaper then earlier modules...due to the fact of the electronics.

-grasso.

3. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Thanks!