Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm back from vacation (car/truck pics added today)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hi guys, I'm back! We had a great time but are glad to be back in the good old USA.

For those that missed the first post; Myself, my wife, and my aunt & uncle went on a two city trip to South America- Buenos Aries, Argentina and Santiago, Chile. We left for B.A. on the 6th, flew to Santiago on the 12, and got back to Atlanta on the 16. Details and pictures to follow.

Here's a quick funny for now.
    Although we flew Delta for the long flights, on the short hop from B.A. to Santiago we took Aerolineas Argentinas. Its the national carrier of Argentina and we are going to be flying over the Andies, so I figure its worth the extra $10 a ticket. (You guys remember the move "Alive" where the plane crashes and the passengers who lived have to eat the others? They were in route to this airport. This place has had other issues, too. Just Google the airport code, SCL.)

Anyway, my trust may have been a little misplaced. We get onto the airplane and luckily I got an exit row seat and get to stretch my legs out. As we are on roll out the sun is shining across the wing and I notice six shadows behind screws on the leading edge of an access panel on the wing pylon. This, of course, means they are loose- very loose. What worries me even more is that if the screws are loose then some sort of maintenance was was done, or should have been done, inside that panel.

After noticing this I ask my wife "Do you want to go or take a delay?" She says "What! Why?". I show her and she freaks a little, but we are already moving now. About that time we have some good speed and she says "It doesn't look so bad now" and I add "That is because its about to come off." After I reassure her that its just a cover and won't hurt anything if we loose it, I am left to wonder what is going on inside the panel. I tell myself "You've got to trust the guys who did the work, or you will never be able to relax. I was fine until we started to cross the Andies. Thank God it all worked out ok.

When we landed it was time for my best Spanish, so I didn't look like a nut job. I asked the head Flight Attendant if it was possible to speak to the Captain. I then told him, again in my crappy Spanish, about the situation and gave him a drawing I sketched, just in case my "tourist spanish" didn't get the point across. He told me he understood and thanked me, which I thought was nice (the thank you that is, some pilots are pricks).

I've got some good pics of the mountains that I took out the window. I'll post them in the AM.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I hate when those panels come off :D !!

[​IMG]

I'm glad you made it home safe and can't wait for the pics :woot:!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!!! :thumb:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

x2, you always seem to have killer pics of foreign locations.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man i wonder how the crap that happened
    the engine cowling's use latches on the bottom, and it is real obvious if they are not latched

6. bigjbear

Airtran, baby!!! You know that one was plastered all over the Delta hanger:crazy:
    (I'm only poking fun because no one was hurt)

The best part about that one was the capt didn't believe the pax that told him:haha:
    Like I said above: "He told me he understood and thanked me, which I thought was nice (the thank you that is, some pilots are pricks)."

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  7. bigjbear

Here are a few for now. Sorry about the quality but they were taken through an airplane window and also reduced to about 1/5 their original size.

mts above the clouds

[​IMG]

flying over a saddle

[​IMG]

not a good place to crash

[​IMG]

coming down, a crater lake in the distance

[​IMG]

even the foothills are big

[​IMG]

I'll try to do some more tomorrow

8. bigjbear

I probably should have done this in order, but what fun would that be! Since I started with the middle of the trip I'll just throw out random stuff as I think of it.

While we were in B.A I wanted to see a soccer game. I was hoping to the Bocca Jrs play even though most people didn't recommend it due to the crazy fans, The thing is, that is part of what I wanted to see. They didn't have a home game that worked with our schedule, though.

The other local popular team is River and they were playing at home against Arsenal. I was told this would be a good game as well. Then I found out that it was going to be played at a neutral site due to fans rioting at their home stadium. Hmm, maybe this wasn't my best idea.

Six of us at the hotel paid for tickets, a van, and driver. We get there and the fans are already cheering. The driver told us this is a big game because Arsenal has a 13 game win streak and is favored to win that day. One thing that's interesting is the fans are separated by team loyalty.

The game was a good one; River scored early and the place erupted. It remained 1-0 for the rest of the first half. During the break I started to notice things like the moat around the field, the water cannons pointed at the crowd, and the line of cops separating the the two teams' fans. In the second half Arsenal scored a goal to tie. Of course their fans, who were a very vocal minority, went wild. Finally, with less than 5 min to play River went ahead again. This time for good.

Just to give you an idea how big the game was, the local news showed almost 5 min of highlights that evening.

Some spirited play, I got caught up in the game and did not take many good action shots, but here is one.

[​IMG]

Water cannon...just in case

[​IMG]

GOOAALLL!!!

[​IMG]

NASCAR fans have nothing on these guys. The the whole CONCRETE stadium was shaking after the last goal.

[​IMG]

Yes they are on top of the stadium wall.:eek1:

9. bigjbear

Of course we did the usual tourist stuff, so here is some of that:

Iglesia Nuestra Senora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar Church)

[​IMG]

We went to Recoleta Cemetery...

[​IMG]

.... and stopped by Eva Peron's (Evita's) current burial site. It is a bit of a controversy that she was buried there. It is her father's family crypt and she is illegitimate. IIRC, this is at least her fourth resting place.

[​IMG]

The place was a like a small old city by itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Details everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A banyan tree outside the cemetery

[​IMG]

more later

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that tree is BADASS! reminds me of the Octupus tree on the oregon coast. :thumb:

j

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Great Pics, sounds like a fun trip. I like seeing other countries architecture (spelling). Yep soccer (Futbol) is huge in most other countries

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Great pics Mr. Ansel Adams :bow: :bow: !

Excellent composition indeed!

I grew up using a Canon AE-1, A-1, and F-1.

What is your weapon of choice?

13. bigjbear

Nikon D70. I can't take credit for the mountain pics, it was on waiter mode (auto). Recoleta was more fun. The overcast let me shoot from any angle I wanted.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THose are some great pics. Looks like a fun place to visit. Post up more when you have time.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Awesome pic's Jim!!! Looks like a great vacation. :bow: :bow:

Rene

16. bigjbear

Time for more pictures and stories.

I just realized I haven't talked about food at all, yet. Time to remedy that oversight. I love to eat tasty things and my vacations often involve food. On the other hand, I'm not a one of those snobs that think every meal must be five courses served on china.

If you know much about Argentina you have probably heard they have world class beef, as well as excellent pasta. Their beef was extensively exported to the EU until last year when the Argentinean government suspended the exports in an attempt to control food related inflation. Pasta dishes are so popular due to the large waves of Italian immigration in the 1920s and 1940s.

As for what we ate; I found the steaks to be absolutely tender and full of flavor at the better restaurants, but about the same as an American steak house at the cheaper ones. The best steak I had was at "Tango Madero" a tango show near Puetro Madero.

View of the port from inside the restraunt
    [​IMG]

I've got to say I was not too excited about going to the tango show. I envisioned an overdone production and buffet style food. Boy was I wrong, first let me say the tango is a sexy dance and the show at Madero Tango was HAWT! (Sorry no flash pics allowed during the show, so you'll have to settle for one of us.) The food there was incredible from the empanadas we had for appetizers, the steak with chimichurri that would melt in your mouth, an excellent dessert, and finally a good wine round things out.

[​IMG]

Even better than the beef- at least to me- was the pasta, particularly the ravioli. Everywhere we went the ravioli was a hit. The best was at restaurant under a freeway overpass, of all places, called Piegari. The Ravioli was stuffed with ricotta and sun-dried tomatoes. The sauce was creamy, but big surprise was instead of beef in the sauce, there was chunks of ham.

Then there was the estancia.

[​IMG]

Estancia Santa Susana to be exact. This is a "dude ranch" kind of place outside B.A. Its was an active ranch of approximately 3000 acres until about 10 years ago. I'm not sure how much real ranching still goes on there, but either way it was a great way to spend the day. It started off with a greeting of empanadas and young red wine.

My aunt took this one of the empanada lady

[​IMG]

From there we toured the buildings and grounds.

The family chapel

[​IMG]

old stove in the kitchen

[​IMG]

The wife and I riding very well trained horses

[​IMG]

Then it was time to eat. Great parillas with beef, pork, chicken, chorizo (pork sausage), morcilla (blood sausage). The beef and chicken were the best; the morcilla was lousy and under cooked. They kept it whole while grilling it, so it ended up having a paste like texture. The only other place I have had it was in Spain, and there it was cut into pieces before being cooked so it was firm and crunchy- and quite tasty.

morcilla on the grill

[​IMG]

chicken on the grill

[​IMG]

The couple sitting across from us were from Mexico. She was kind enough to make sure I knew what I was about to eat when I asked for the morcilla. I thanked her and assured her I did. Then I told her about our family visit to Spain and eating moricilla at a bodega there. We talked a bit about Spain (they had also been there) and other travel, but her husband seemed kind of ticked/drunk so I went back to enjoying the food and the show.

After the meal there was the story of the "Ring Race". The story goes, that in times past when a young lady in the Pampas *(funny story about pampas in a min) wanted to get married she would hang a ring-which would be used as the wedding ring- from a leather strap at the ranch's gate.

Then all the gauchos who wished to marry her would race toward the ring. The one who could grab it by putting a stick through the center would win her hand in marriage. They say this tradition worked well for many years until a particularly ugly gaucho took the ring of a beautiful senorita. The people decided this was a special case and the girl could refuse the ring and he had to kiss his horse :)

a miss

[​IMG]

this guy's getting hitched

[​IMG]

nice shot

[​IMG]

*Time for a funny story about my wife.
    While we were riding out to the estancia (which, if you remember from above, is in the area known as the pampas) she asked how all the pampas grass got planted out there. She'll be mad when she reads this, but I had to tell you guys:crazy:

17. bigjbear

Like I said above I like food. Partly because it can bring people together. Here is an example of how:

There is more to a vacation like this than tourist spots. To really get a feel for a place you need to see what the locals do. A great way to do this to go where they shop. One of the places we went was to a local flea market. I saw a lot of great stuff, but it would have been a bitch to try and bring any of the big stuff back, so no treasures for me.

But...while walking around, my aunt saw a woman eating an empanada that looked particularly tasty. She asked the lady about it, and she offered -almost insisting- her a bite. Eventually the woman was willing to let us go with mere directions and an address.

As we walked the couple blocks, turning down side-streets we all hoped we were going the right way. Then, there it was, definitely not the kind of place you will find in a guide book. Exactly what we wanted.

[​IMG]

Some my aunt took of the empanadas being made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The grill going inside the little place. They were getting lunch orders ready.

[​IMG]

us enjoying

[​IMG]

That's all for today, nos vemos!

18. bigjbear

Unfortunately, you cant see it in the picture but that grill has wood coals under it. There was a fire box next to the grill full of hot coals, the other lady running the grill would grab a shovel full when needed, and spread them under the grill. This was the real deal, no gas here!

19. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Great pics, and Stories Jim. I applaud your details about the trip and for sharing them, and am also impressed with your kindness towards others as an ambassador from our country. Great great pictures....The Church, and cemetary pics are awesome as are the rest.....glad the plane held together.:bow:

20. bigjbear

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. I'd take you with me next time if I could!

Since this is CK5 we need some truck pics! I put most of them on Cardomain so you can see the rest if you go here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2606624

There was this late 70's Chevy with a different tailgate than what is used in the US. All the older pick-ups with factory beds used this style tailgate, regardless of make. There were a lot more Fords than Chevys and all were called F100s, even late model 3/4 tons. I thought I snapped a few of them, too. But when I got home I realized I didn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a '58 Chevy (wishing it was mine)

[​IMG]

This one looked like a LWB Suzuki

[​IMG]

Last one is a Plymoth Valiant

[​IMG]

That's all for B.A., now on to Chile. The rest are at link above.