Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm back online and I got a comic strip out of the paper...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, May 29, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I\'m back online and I got a comic strip out of the paper...

I finally got the DSL fixed and I'm back online... WOOOO 3 days is along time with no internet /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    All is well and I've made some progress one the truck since I've not been online. Mainly working around house, mowing and fabbing up some new chit for the truck. Pics first of the week probley....

Here's the comic strip
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. jjlaughner

Re: I\'m back online and I got a comic strip out of the paper...

OH the DSL company told me I was going to have this fast connection... like 1500KBPS when I signed on and up to now the highest speed was 150kbps... when I called in to bitch-about-it, they said I was out past the maximum operating distance and that was all the faster it would go. The tech that came out today said the line is perfect for running 2mb/sec... so next week I'm going to call in and bitch-somemore. If that doesn't work I guess there is a 1.5package thats $10 more a month and it will setup me up with 1.5-2MB/sec /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

(when I first got the DSL is was 153 KBPS down and 106 KBPS up... Since the tech left (which it turns out the lighting storm the other night fried one of my wires underthe house), I ran a dedicated line and its now 162kbps down and 219kbps up.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think new wire is good but the company has got me capped off on the down load /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Haha that comic is funny. can't wait for the pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Ummm, the only way your gonna get 1.5Mbps to your house is if you have a T1 line or greater.

Over the phone line (DSL) your doing pretty good speed wise.

The real advantage of DSL over say cable is that during peak times you have a dedicated line to the ISP hub at the Telco (phone company) all those guys with cable are sharing the feed to the neighborhood. So at like 4pm when all the kids get out of school and get online they (cable guys) slow down DSL doesn't.

I'm a telecommunications major in school right now, this is all we do day in and day out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My cable never slows down to where I notice and it's twice as fast as DSL to begin with. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

same here, my cable never slows down, my computer does. have 3 comp hooked to cable and when mine slows down the others are just as fast.

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Ummm, the only way your gonna get 1.5Mbps to your house is if you have a T1 line or greater.

Over the phone line (DSL) your doing pretty good speed wise.

The real advantage of DSL over say cable is that during peak times you have a dedicated line to the ISP hub at the Telco (phone company) all those guys with cable are sharing the feed to the neighborhood. So at like 4pm when all the kids get out of school and get online they (cable guys) slow down DSL doesn't.

I'm a telecommunications major in school right now, this is all we do day in and day out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've installed both systems... IDSL can hit 2MBPS and I have several friends running close to 2.2-3MBPS on Cable /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

JeremyK5 on this board has the same DSL service and runs 1400-1600kpbs (a little over 1MBPS).

Just depends on the line and singal strength. The tech tested the line here at the house outside with his test meter and it pulled 2.11MBPS and it lost 1.5MBPS inside the house (bad/old wiring and the cap put on the modem). NOW saying that the line speeds hit 2.11MBPS is not what my downloads would be. That is burst rate. Actuall speed in a test would likely be 1400-1600kbps; which is is a high average for DSL. I use the sbcyahoo speed test (you have to login) and also the dslreports.com.

I still miss my cable modem /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was pulling 1.6-1.8MBPS even at peak hours in a college town during school. When I moved home there is no Cable service for broadband in this area so for a long time we where on dialup.
    But DSL is a hell-of-a-lot better then dialup! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

The current 150kbps that I'm getting, even up to 392kbps, is not even fast enough to do most streaming video; UNLESS its buffered really high. Streaming video usually starts about 600-700kbps for 640x480 video. Most of the time downloading videos and programs from the web I average 20kbps even though my test speeds say 150-160kbps, so it also depends on the server your downloading/testing from.