Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

-- I'm back! --

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwannablazer, Dec 24, 2003.

1. iwannablazer

iwannablazer Registered Member

-- I\'m back! --

it was earlier this year that i stumbled across this forum then quickly turned my back on the idea of owning a truck. i moved from atlanta to tn to attend college this fall and made the 1hr45min commute in my newly acquired 93 honda civic hatch. it would run high 13sec 1/4miles and average 31mpg on naturally asperated 1.8L 4cyl. it was great...until it started burning some oil. no huge deal, i'll just keep an eye on it. i decided to make the 3hr trek from cleveland, TN to nashvillewhere my best friend lives. "hey i wanna show you something" he said when we got to his house. hes my age, 19, and owns some tight rides. his daily driver is a 78 Toyota Celica GT and when gasmoney isnt a problem, he pulls out his 77 dually burban with a rebuilt 400small block that has a bunch of other stuff on it. his dad only buys gm or toyota so they have some cool trucks. well we walk into the spacious garage full of his dads extensive craftsman collection and theres a two tone whit/grey K5 Jimmy. his dad was rebuilding the motor for a friend and the guy is prolly gonna give it to him. well we worked on my car and i believe my piston rings are bad on my freshly rebuyilt motor so i wanna try to sell it a.s.a.p. and make his dad an offer on the jimmy when its done. btw, i still technically live in marietta, Ga when im not at school in Cleveland, TN. lemme know if anyones in my area.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: -- I\'m back! --

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. iwannablazer

iwannablazer Registered Member

If, some reason, this jimmy should fall through. what should i look for in picking out a k5? of course i know things like rust and such, but where? what engine should i be on the lookout for. i commute but i dont want a whimpy engine. i guess like a small v8 like the 350 thats in my friends jimmy. that even may be too much a gas hog. what else do i need to look for./ any and all suggestions are welcomed

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Get an '89, in my opinion they have the best features you could ask for from the factory... Check the specifications page of this site (there's a navigation bar at the top of the page you can click on a link there) check out the spec.'s of all the different Blazers and see what one has the options you want most. Then let the searching begin. Welcome back to CK5 and happy holidays /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like my 76 K5 do to the fact it was cheap. I bought it for off roading so I'm not too concerned about the body. Another good thing about the older Blazers is no computer controled crap to deal with, very basic under the hood. It doesn't get the best MPGs, but again, it was cheap.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, in my opinion, the early 80's and late 70's models were the best. The ones without all of the computer gizmos are much easier to work on. As far as rust, take a look at the rocker panels, wheel wells, exhaust, and floorboards. Make sure the engine doesnt smoke, and that the transmission shifts right, and the 4x4 high and low both work. Also, tkae a look at the engine compartment. If it looks dirty and nasty, its a pretty good sign of how the vehicle runs. Take it for a drive. Blazer speedos only go to 99,999, so if it reads 65,000, that means its probably 165,000 miles. Make sure that the engine runs strong and has a lot of power. As far as gas mileage, the blazers boxy design and v-8 dont really allow for good gas mileage. You could get one with a 305 v-8, but at a cost of power. The 350 will make more power, but at the expensive of a little worse gas mileage. Im sure I forgot something, but basicly, just check everything out before you buy. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    -Harrison

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Are you guys sure about all the computer gizmo's in the newer ones? The only thing I have that's computerized is my TBI and I love it! The '90 version had the ABS brakes and electronic speedometer and in '91 the added even more computerized junk to it. I like my '89 because it has TBI, the stronger 700R4 with a 241 transfer case and the newest, most desirable front end design /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. If I had the stock axles in it still they would be the 30 spline version. It was also very cheap, about $700 cheap, and was owned by an old man who had it for about 10 years /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I prefer to have the TBI version since I have never had good luck tuning a carb. and I like knowing my motor will still be running even if my truck's on it's side /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif