I'm blaming it on the mosquitoes (long)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Nov 14, 2001
    I\'m blaming it on the mosquitoes (long)

A friend and I go in my '76 1/2 ton 2wd to pick up this SM465/205 combo that I have sitting on the ground at my place. Mosquitoes start swarming us, so we hop in the truck, and I take of like a bat out of heck.

The throttle sticks wide open. I weave around the parts trucks as the truck is burning out with me jamming on the brakes. As I see we arent slowing down and heading towards a large stump and tree, I shut the motor off, but we nearly broadside the stump and tree.

We get out to look at the damage, and my front right tire is flat... after having a large stick gash the sidewall.

Luckily... earlier that morning, I had just taken my spare tire OUT of the truck and left it at home. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I brought no tools, so we start scrounging through parts trucks and the old campers and trailers for a jack and lug wrench. I dont find any spare tires on rims, but come up with just a tire laying around, a bottle jack, lug wrench, and a can of WD-40.

We drive down to the main road on the flat, and go to the nearest house, where two guys there help us change out the tire.

While we were at it, I noticed that my single bolt holding on the upper A-arm on the truck was really loose, and the A-arm was flopping even worse than before (darn flat tire pulled it further away from the frame). So we use a ratchet strap to pull the A-arm into the frame, and ratchet it down tight to hold it in place.

It took us at least TWO HOURS to get the old tire broke off the inner bead, cutting and prying and spraying WD-40 and hammering. Finally got it off, got the other tire up, aired it up with their compressor, and went to take off for home 2.5 hours late.

After the truck not starting, I wiggled the battery terminal connections, and we finally got to leave.

Now my $150 truck is ready for anything with a nice newly mounted mismatched tire, and my front suspension fixed... I just have to re-tighten the ratchet strap down ever so many miles. It doesnt even clunk anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

May 1, 2004
    Re: I\'m blaming it on the mosquitoes (long)

yea dude, mosquitoes suck a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

nice adventure though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif