Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im bout to sell this damn thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Oct 23, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it WILL STILL NOT SPARK!! AHHH new coil and moduale in the old one, took it out put a non HEI on from a 79 in it to by pass computer still dont do nothing, wtf there is no possible reason for this. what are all the problems that could go wrong in an engine swap that would cause it to not start when its in?? my dad is a mechanic for a living..and HE cant firgure it out..i mean comon it has to be something dumb..

2. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

check for battery power at the dist.????????

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes we did that..i would be surprised if someone hear could think of something we didnt do.. i cant imagine what it could be!!

4. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

are you saying you put a point type dist. from a79?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That would be funny, because they weren't points in '79. : )

(not to mention the voltage differences as I recall)

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont know..i guess not if there wasnt...? i just know its from a 79...my dad put it in...hes stumped and i am cause i dont know enough about this stuff...and im mad cause i just want to drive the damn thing..we are desprite now

7. dyeager535

When the key is on, you've got 12V at the wire going to the distributor, and its not plugged into the "tach" port?

You've swapped distributors, the chances of both of them being bad is not very high, but if the one you swapped it with didn't come straight from a running engine, it could very well be bad too. If you don't conclusively rule things out, then they will come back to haunt you.

Just because parts are new doesn't mean they will work, either, which is why replacing parts doesn't make much sense if you aren't positive what the problem is.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what do you mean its not plugged into the tach port? whats that?

9. dyeager535

There are two "connectors" on the distributor cap (3 actually, but the large one goes into the distributor anyway) They are both labeled, one is labeled "tach" one is labeled bat or coil or something like that, which is the one that the 12V ignition wire should go to. The ignition wire should have 12v with the key in the start and run position.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

When you swapped your distributor did you hook up the 2 connectors? One has a single wire and should be hooked to the "BAT" terminal not the "TACH" terminal on the distributor cap.

The distributor out of the 79 should still be an HEI just not a computer controlled HEI /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the garage you mentioned your heater quite also so look at the heater fuse, look at the wiring harness where it plugs into the fire wall and check for broken wires or a loose plug.

11. dyeager535

But if hes getting 12V to the coil, it will fire as the engine turns over. So if 12V to the coil, you don't need to worry about bad connections of any type. But you best make sure you've got 12V to the coil, or you are simply wasting your time.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do you check to make sure you have 12 volts? with a meter or something?

thanx guys!

13. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah a multi meter its pretty easy really.

14. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

What up

Do you have an alarm, kill switch, or even an old chapman lock.

Old alarms that have been bypassed can wind up reconnected, or make intermitent contact.

Good luck
    Matt

15. dyeager535

A multimeter should be in ANYONES box that works on their own vehicles, but you can get away with a 12V lightbulb with a wire hanging off of each contact..(basically a test light)

Hook one wire lead up to whatever is SUPPOSED to get 12 volts (in this case the coil wire, with the key on) then ground the other wire. (bare spot on basically any piece of metal on the truck not insulated with rubber) If it lights up, your getting 12volts. If not, you've got a problem with something before the distributor.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well my dad probobly has one i dont know of hand but i know he would hes one of those guys thats got everything..but ill ask him about this..chances are he already checked it..but ill try..thanx!!

17. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifPOINTS! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well...were good there to..lol any other ideas?

19. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

you got a good ground right? you said you swapped engines, did you make sure you had a good ground?

20. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Hey just a stupid question? Did you remember to put the little ground strap back when you replaced the coil and the module? And is the 12v battery wire + module wires hooked back up to the dist. ?
    Bill