Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm bowing out of the truck scene.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, May 2, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I\'m bowing out of the truck scene.....

It costs too much and you can never afford some stuff. Too much other priorities in life than a piece of metal, glass, plastic, rubber, etc.

I'm directing my newfound interests to something else: R/C electric and nitro powered trucks. They're cheaper and you have more fun with them since you can get them built.

I've got a brand new Clod Buster and picked up a Juggernaut and an E-Maxx from Larry Bosworth last weekend. I got the E-Maxx running but had to order some new battery packs and a new charger, too. This weekend I spent assembling the Juggernaut to convert it to Jugg II which has the Juggular long wheel base chassis.

I found a few sites that have message forums like CK5 and will be checking those out as I still need to find parts to finish up the Jugg and Clod. Once those get built, I'm looking for either the T-Maxx or Savage as I can't make up my mind which to get. Once I get that, I'm gonna build a radical truck with all tube chassis from scratch. Saw a few of these chassis on a site and yeah, they're not cheap either, but cheaper than full size truck parts and are also ready to run. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Don't worry, I will still visit here now and then, just not as much anymore. I don't find myself frequenting here as much anymore. Too hard to try and buy something to build for a truck and have too much other stuff to worry about especially when the full size scene is expensive.

Hasta la vista, guys and gals! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m bowing out of the truck scene.....

[ QUOTE ]
    Too much other priorities in life than a piece of metal, glass, plastic, rubber, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    R/C electric and nitro powered trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

come'on man.....stick around /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You can't leave us /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple of nitro powered RC cars. (t-max and a savage)

They're a great diversion when you're waiting for someone to get fixed up on the trail or have nothing better to do.

I think they go best WITH the 4x4 truck.

As for me, it's not about having the biggest or the best truck out there. It's just about reliability and being able to "make it".

-T

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So, will you be selling D60's cheap ??

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think i sense the presense of a woman's influence... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i did exactly the opposite when i was 16, i sold my R/C fleet to buy my first truck. yes, the R/C is cheaper, but try riding in one, and driving it down the street for everyone to see. its just not going to happen. yes its cheaper, but they have 0 resale value, and the level of pride you have is not even comparable to a real truck. you'll be back.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hope you pop in regularly, thanks for all the help over the years and the outstanding job on the 14 bolt.

Enjoyed your input Wes........... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YOU CANT LEAVE. We'll get steve to start a "RC car" section for Ck5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    and if you still try to leave... we'll send out the "membership retention" divison. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

12. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

so ..... i have a RC D60 for sale, 1200.00 bucks and its yers, i swear it'll bolt right in, may need slight narrowing though for your application /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    hey wes, HAVE FUN, everything else just dosent matter /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

wes... thanks for the square deals... if you have anything else you think I might want ... let me know,,, by now you know Im a square shooter too...
    now if you can only design that R/C that will stop police pursuits.... youll be a millioniare...
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I hope you decide to come back, but if not, good luck with the new hobby! I can sure sympathize with the cost thing. Twice I've had to put my truggy on hold for 6 months or so due to financial uncertainty, but things eventually turned around, I blew the cob webs away, and continued…

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol I have thought about this too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Now sonny, I remember when you came here many a moon ago /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I wish you the best of luck on your RC journey, but stop in and say hey once in awhile! With pics of your r/c's of course /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

R/C trucks are a blast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A friend sold me his Terra Crusher for $20, actually he wanted to give it to me but I couldn't do that. Best thing is, it was in perfect shape when I got it and only had 90 mins of runtime, half of that was by me. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Have fun with your new hobby and thanks for all your contributions in the past. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

BTW: you never did write your Wes-lopedia of axles. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The rest of us mortals will be lost and left in the dark. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too much other priorities in life than a piece of metal, glass, plastic, rubber, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait... r/c is not cheap either. Fun as heck, but they run some coin if you get a nice set up going. I know plenty of people who thought it would be cheaper who are now thousands of bucks into it wondering wtf, I am spending just as much! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I just got a T-Maxx from a friend about a month ago, it is a blast. Best part is I can enjoy it just about whenever I want, for 15 minutes are for hours, and I don't have to go anywhere to do it. I have built a roll cage for mine that mounts like a body and has held up to many roll overs LOL /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif It is a lot of fun, maybe not a lot cheaper, but something that I can do much more regularly than four wheeling. Oh, and whoever said R/C has zero resale should go check out Ebay, stuff sells like crazy. Of coarse it has to be a brand and model that is popular /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Four wheeling is expensive and I think the trend as of late to over build your truck before ever taking it off-road has made it much more expensive than it has to be. None-the-less it costs a lot of money and I know I cannot afford it, especially when a tank of gas is gonna run $60+.

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and whoever said R/C has zero resale should go check out Ebay, stuff sells like crazy. Of coarse it has to be a brand and model that is popular /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i tried to sell my RC10LSO a few years back, complete RTR setup. mod motor, ESC, top of the line radio stuff, custon graphite chassis, all the good suspention stuff, and a complete councourse Monte Carlo SS body, painted like Dale Earnhardt's Goodwrench Chevy. bid got up to a whopping $50. i stripped the electronics out of it, and sold it all separately at a local hobby show and ended up getting $100 out of it, with well over $500 invested in the electronics alone. not someones old used up junk by any means, car used to come apart for inspection and cleaning after every race (30 mins +/- practice, 2 heats and a main)