Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm building a beater truck....AND YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE HOW IT'S BUILT!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 26, 2004.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I\'m building a beater truck....AND YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE HOW IT\'S BUILT!!!

...and i'm using what i have laying in the yard. it consists of a 74 4x4 K20, an 86 4x2 C10, whats left of an 87 4x4 K5, and a lot of scrap metal and parts. here's the cool part: YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE HOW I BUILD IT!!!

Remember, EXTREMELY low buck is what I'm shooting for. However, I am willing to buy some parts, as long as it's reasonable and doesn't cost much. So post up fellas and help me get this ball rolling. I want to make a helluva one-off truck. If it's ugly, WHO CARES?!?! It's gonna get beat to hell and back anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m building a beater truck....AND YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE HOW IT\'S BUILT!!!

Take as many engines as you have, get them all running and connect them to the same transfer case with a chain/cog system..... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Re: I\'m building a beater truck....AND YOU GUYS GET TO DECIDE HOW IT\'S BUILT!!!

let's see....a ford 2.3 4 cyl, a couple of old farm truck straight 6's, a 350, a 4.3 carb'd V6, and a 5.7L diesel out of a Cadillac.

I'm guessing it'd put out about 11 HP and 1032874098172 ft. lbs of torque (all from the Cadillac convert diesel)

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Do it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Assuming the ratio is favorable, I would start by putting the 8 lugs from the 74 under the K5 and build on that...

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you don't care what it looks like and don't intend on driving it on the road, start by dumping all the sheetmetal on the blazer chassis, swap some axles around and spend some money on tubing.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

we need pictures to decided /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

4.10's in the 3/4 ton diffs. let me ask why the blazer chassis though?

pictures will be on the way soon...

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better wheelbase than the K20. The frames are also slightly more rigid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to what truknutz said, this is Coloarado<font color="blue">K5</font> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to what truknutz said, this is Coloarado<font color="blue">K5</font> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...there won't be much of a k5 left if that's what WE build.

COME ON GUYS!!! POST IT UP!

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Build it like this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

crap here is the link.
    Austink5

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I like the frame truck idea. Always kinda wanted one myself. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

here's a pic of the 74 k20

16. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

WOW! That K20 is in awesome shape! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I saw strip the K20 down to the running gear and frame, weld some tube on it, mild lift...maybe, some decent sized tires, and wheel the piss out of it!

Kris

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

aight some more rules for ya. there can be little to no tube work required because i have no access to a bender or a mig or tig welder. if it's gotta be done, it's gonna be the good ol stick welder.

I'M NOT HEARING ENOUGH OUT OF YOU GUYS! GET CRAZY WITH IT!!!

18. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

can i help build it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

sure if you feel like driving down here

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    it consists of a 74 4x4 K20, an 86 4x2 C10, whats left of an 87 4x4 K5, and a lot of scrap metal and parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the K5 frame... swap the K20 cab (if its a regular cab) onto it... then use some old fenders, whatever isn't rusting apart, angle them in to narrow the front end (ala Sandman) and sawzall the hell out of them so they are out of the way of the tires. If ya have something you can throw together for a flatbed, go that route and have it narrowed in the rear too. Make the flatbed only as long as the rear spring hangers, cheaper for steel that way and your departure angle will also rocks. Definitely use the axles from the K20, 4.10s / 3/4ton are a good place to start. Take the 52" springs from the back of the K5, clean em up and put em in front of the new rig... take the longest springs off the other two rigs, whatever they are, and swap em into the rear suspension of the K5.

all i can think of for now... whatever you do, take a chit load of pics and document the whole experience. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j