Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Bummed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muscle, Dec 29, 2002.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I\'m Bummed!

Well I went to go put some money down on the '84 Jimmy I've been looking at and I noticed it DOES NOT have a 700-R4 tranny. It has a TH350 with NP208 T case. DARN! I was really looking forward to the gear ratios offered by the 700. The friggin options tag under the hood on the fender lists a "4 speed auto trans." So i guess they count reverse.

So If I acquire a 700R4 will it mount up to the 208 that is currently mounted to a TH350?

Will I need new drivelines all the way around?

GRRRRRRR! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I\'m Bummed!

Depends on how the conversion was done. When I first bought my blazer it was the same as the one you looked at. It had been converted to a TH350. A spacer was used to take up the extra length. I ended putting a 700 in it for a while and it was a bolt in! but only because of that adapter.

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

So do I need to look for a 700R4 or a 700R4 already mated to a NP208? I guess what I'm asking is the 208 thats currently mounted to the TH350 capable of being mounted to a 700R4 that I find? I'm not as concerned about drive shafts.

Would I have to change anything on the column?

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

The TH350 looks like factory installed. I also noticed it does not have the overdrive selection on the column just D,2,1 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

It may look factory, but go to my webshots and look at the adapter in there! It's the shiny aluminum one! It is what is used to drop a 350 in place of a 700! IT COMES WITH THE D,2,1 STICKER! You're going to have to see if the adapter is ther, if you're sure it's not, look to see if the crossmember has been moved,(new holes drilled!) That would indicate it was put in with a new 208 and new driveshafts! The 208 will mate to the 700!!!! If there is no adapter, you will have to move the crossmember, get longer driveshaft in front and shorter in rear, and replace the shift indicator! Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Yeah but when I look at the specifications for an'84 on this site it shows a TH350 with a NP208 or a 700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What should I expect to pay for a used 700R4 either form a private individual or junk yard????

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the th350 is stronger than the 700r4 anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

most the yards by me want 500 for what they say is a "good" 700r4. the problem is, most of them are junk and cost alot to rebuild. There are also differences with years. I don't think you can take one from an 87 and use it in yours. I don't know if it's computer related or not. The later ones are supposed to be stronger, but the earlier ones can be updated. I would like to take the stick out of my 87 and do a 700r4, but the cost is killin me. i have a core, but it will cost 500+ to rebuild

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

So I need to look for an '84 700R4 tranny? God this is getting pretty technical. Or do I just need to avoid a tranny that is computer controlled? How do you tell the differance?

I was hoping to pay around $300 for a 700R4 tranny but I guess not. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WOOOOh Horses! YOu want to look for a tranny that came from a truck after 87 if you are going to use a 700!!!! They are not computer controlled!!! The Tranny has 3 wires that go to it, One is a ground, one is a power source, and the third is something else, but I'm not sure what right now! I know that you can use a later style 700 in it though!!!!!! Check this out and you will know everything you want to know about 700R4s!:
    700R4 Info Page!
    Hope this helps! 700's aren't cheap, but sometimes you can find someone with a good one! Or pay to have it rebuilt! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hope this Helps!

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Jeez, two years and 50 posts. I think you must be the superlurker of the site. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

When I noticed Show Low, I just couldn't resist, got's to give a man fair warning. My ex-wife is in the area, don't get messed up with her. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. bablazer73

84-86. other than the 1 harness plug, I really don't know what the difference is. the early tranny's only have torque converter lockup control. you could leave it unplugged, but then you can't use overdrive.(to much heat without converter locked) B@M makes a control switch to manually control lock up. for street rod applications. I don't know if the early computers know the difference of a th350 with a locking converter or a 700r4. all 700r4's are "computer controlled". but thats just the converter.

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

But the Computer is in the Tranny!!!!!! There is no external computer to worry about! It's not even much of a computer! Read my earlier link! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My ex-wife is in the area, don't get messed up with her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning! Been riding motocross, hunting, fishing, working. Its taken two years for me to commit to this project! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

WOOOOh Horses! YOu want to look for a tranny that came from a truck after 87 if you are going to use a 700!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it thats because the 700's were better after 1987. I looked at the 700 site and noticed the wires are used for a converter lock. I assumethis means the converter on the existing TH350 will not work?

15. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Not sure how the converter locks, I believe it's fluid in fluid out, if no fluid flow... Lock, But don't quote me on that one! There's a ton of info on that page and it will tell you how to do it all!!!!! Keep it! Might have to talk to one of these pros around here to find out exactly how a converter works! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

if the 84 is what you want, buy it and drive it for awhile to see where the priorities are for upgrade or fixing, if you want an overdrive transmission why not compare the expenses for a 700 and a 4l80e, see where you can get the most for your money and do it only once, use the experience from the guys on this board, weigh the options and build what would make you happy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. bablazer73

there is no computer in the tranny. there is a switch and a seloniod for the converter. although the link you posted was full of great info, some I was NOT aware of! as to wiring so the converter unlocks on it's own!! that is a modification one has to do. The other idea in there is the same concept as the manual switch from B@M. That link has given me the idea agian to have my core 700 rebuilt and swapped into my 87 blazer instead of the stick! but, I do believe the info for the lockup converter goes through the computer at some point as it is part of the harness for the computer.

18. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

see where you can get the most for your money and do it only once, use the experience from the guys on this board, weigh the options and build what would make you happy just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I'm here! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Still, after visiting these other site I'm unclear as to the converter. I guessing at this point that the converter for the th350 will not work and a "lock up" converter is needed.

19. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

the torque converter is attached to the engine and there is an output shaft to the trannie, there probably is a difference between a 350 and a 700, on a lock up converter, say you are on the highway gettin up to speed, the engine is goin faster than the trannie, the trannie has to catch up so to speak, thats why auto trannies are less fuel efficient than manuals, so when the trannie catches up to the engine the lock converter locks so that the engine and trannie are goin the same speed, that might be pretty basic, hope it helps some, as to cost, you could go anywhere from 250 up to 700 i belive depending on what type converter you get

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd consider the truck to be worth more without the 700R-4, the TH350 is a proven performer in these truck whereas the 700R-4 has only proven to be really expensive to rebuild. Plenty of people here have had fresh 700's puke in a matter of months...

Keep the TH350 and gear it accordingly, you'll prolly be better off in the long run. If you want true reliabiblty get a SM465 in there and forget about tranny problems forever./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Th350 convertor will not work with a 700R-4.

Rene