Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm buying a gun this weekend. No buts about it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 14, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I\'m buying a gun this weekend. No buts about it.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/793885.asp

You better have your intentions well announced when you get within ten feet of my kid now.

God be with you if I don't know you and your back is between me and 1 of my kids.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I\'m buying a gun this weekend. No buts about it.

Good for you. I always carry mine. Especially on 4x4 trips. You never know who you are going to run into way up in the mountains. It is also a good idea to get a concealed weapons permit. I would rather be in jail and know my kid was OK than be out and have him missing or dead.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I read that story in the paper this morning ..... un-believable!

I considered a long winded post expressing my veiws on Gun ownership. Instead, I'll just post a few links for you to look at:

NRA

Smith & Wesson
    Ruger
    Taurus
    Glock
    Baretta
    Sigarms
    Heckler-Koch
    Cz

I'm glad to see parents, like you, who are willing to protect their families.

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No carry permits in New York, I even know a detective who is not allowed to carry unless on-duty. Thanks McCarthy. A couple years ago, a guy on a train shot a bunch of commuters (oddly enough, on the line I now ride to work everyday). One of the widows is now in politics, campaigning against guns. What the moron doesn't realize is that had someone on that train been legally carrying, such as myself (because I would carry if it were legal), the gunman would have likely been shot down before he killed 6 people, and her husband might still be alive. Maybe in one of the 2 or 3 times he stopped to reload.

If that woman was carrying a gun, or the bystander that tried to help, she could have shot the tires, or depending on the proximity and situation, the alleged passenger, or driver. It kills me that in the land of the free, we're driving ourselves to become the land of the free but watched, and families are paying the price.

If a person attempted to take my child, I would not hesitate to do whatever it takes to stop them. If they're cold enough to take my child, they're cold enough to kill.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what is up with all these fawkers doing this sh!t im with you i would kill someone in a heartbeat to protect my kids and would do the same to protect any kid. i hate going in stores so i 9 out of 10 times site with my kids in the truck when my wife is in shoping and i do watch what goes on in the parking lots. ive seen people hit another vehicle and then try driving off before anyone sees them and i get there plate # and give it to the owner of the damaged vehicle if i would have seen that woman do that i would at the very least followed her to were she was going and been on channel 9 on my cb the whole time (someday ill get a cell phone lol)

6. Sandman

I guess you could get yourself a snubnose pistol. Would work great for close encounters on the subway. I carry a Ruger P89. Its not a bad pistol and the grip is OK. Buy a gun from a private party and then you might be able to hide its existance from the gov.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Thank God they found her !

See the news report here .

8. mudhog

awesome im glad they found her and she is safe /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Sandman

They should chop her legs off. That might help cut down future abductions.

10. mudhog

she is a ex prison guard /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

When purchasing a hand gun that may be used in self defense. I seriously suggest taking the concealed hand gun classes or something similar if they do not issue those in your state.

It will inform you of the risk, responsibility, and liability of having and/or using the weapon. Did you know, even if you justifiably kill someone in self defense, it is VERY likely you will have a civil case against you from the perpetrators family?

Also, becoming a member of the NRA. If you do have to defend yourself, or someone else (like your family), and you end up facing criminal or civil charges, they will send their high priced lawyers to defend you. As long as you where in the right.

12. Sandman

These are all good words. Having a gun in your vehicle is no joke. I did not carry mine to Moab because my permit is only good for Idaho. But I did consider it. There can be many consequences to pulling a gun out for self defense. I've done it and it can get real hairy real fast. But there will be a better chance that you'll be alive to deal with them.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What's the permit laws like up there in Idaho? Pretty easy to get?

14. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

hey Sandman you can carry in Utah WITH an out of state permit.

Utah will honor any permit which has been issued by another state or county. However, a permit issued by another state or county is only valid in Utah for 60 consecutive days. In order to carry a concealed firearm, a person that remains in Utah for longer than 60 consecutive days shall obtain a permit pursuant to UCA 53-5-704.

No. Any U.S. citizen may obtain a Utah concealed firearm permit, providing they meet the minimum qualifications. View the minimum qualifications.

http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

15. Sandman

I got mine just using my hunters safety class as training. Were still somewhat laid back about these things but it is changing.

16. Sandman

Thats interesting, I didnt know that. I was under the impression that The Idaho permit was only good in Idaho but the Utah permit was good for several different states. There used to be a guy that would travel up from Utah every few months and teach a class at one of the Hotels. You paid a fee. He taught the gun safety class and then he ran the paperwork through to get the Utah permit. I never did do it. People that I worked with did though because they went hunting in multiple states and did not want to have to worry about the gun here, Ammo over there, type of rules.

17. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Hey Bubba come to Madera, the county sheriff has made it known that he will issue one if you work in Fresno /forums/images/icons/cool.gif You just have to pass the background check and be proficient in its use. I think you have to requalify every few years though. I starting the process pretty quick /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know the exact laws here in NY, but I know that even a detective friend can't carry unless they're on-duty!

Maybe this is another reason for me to look into moving to PA again... I think the gun laws up there are much more lenient (heck I've seen guys driving around the poconos with rifles in thier trucks).

9 years ago when I worked in a bagel store, my boss, the owner, used to carry a 9mm. He was legal because he carried huge amounts of money and the nieghborhood wasn't great. I don't know what the case is today, but I've followed occasional articles about changes and new restrictions in permit renewals, so it would be interesting to see if he still carries, how he does it.

If I could get a carry permit, I'd carry everywhere I could! How many lives do you think could've been saved if a passenger was able to shoot a single or several hijackers? Maybe if not allowing carry permits on board, the sky-marshall thing should be implemented asap.

I'd love to join the NRA. As soon as I get a gun, I'm going to research that a little more.

Anti-gun lobbyists piss me off. They seem to think that by stopping people that obey the law from getting or using a gun, they will somehow stop people who don't obey the law from killing. Statistics are so blatently obvious that anti-gun laws allow more damage to be caused by nutjobs with guns. Someone stated about the Clinton-Gore reign, (generalized) "current gun-control laws are fueled by emotion and lack of logic, and focus on an object as evil, instead of the person as evil. The current laws and propsed laws will further the damage capabilities of the evil person, and good american lives will pay for it."

Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

19. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When purchasing a hand gun that may be used in self defense. I seriously suggest taking the concealed hand gun classes or something similar if they do not issue those in your state.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I could not agree more!

Safety is the primary reason many people get handguns so it makes sense to make sure you understand how to handle, transport and store a weapon safely.

Another thing that many people don't realize is that you need to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! If you want to be able to effectively use ANY tool you need to gain as much experience as possible to make sure that when the time comes to actually USE your weapon (with your adrenaline pumping and your brain going a zillion mph trying to figure out what’s going on) you will be able to rely on your training and practice to get you through it.

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

*twirling loaded gun with saftey off on end of finger with 15 people standing around*

What...../forums/images/icons/confused.gif

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif