Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm confused about the 14 bolt FF backing plate issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 24, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I\'m confused about the 14 bolt FF backing plate issue

I'm gonna pull a 3/4 ton 14 bolt FF and put it on my 1/2 ton suburban. I have most of the details worked out except I'm still confused about the backing plates. I'm using 15" 8 lug wheels. Some have mentioned that I need to swap these plates. Are not the brake pads and springs attached to these. If they are changed do you change the brake parts also? Also whats the deal with the parking brake cables. lastly, how do you get the drums of to inspect the brakes before I buy them? Thanks.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m confused about the 14 bolt FF backing plate issue

this is what i know....
    yes, all the parts bolt to the backing plate..
    parking brake? thats whyyou switch to the sf backing plate..it fits and and it will work with parking brake (thats what i got from steve)
    to remove the drum--remove the axles by removing the 8 bolts on the hub, remove the big nut and bearing inside and remove the drum..itds been a while since i done it and if you need more info i can go out and do it,,,i was going to anyway, so its no big deal...

some people have said that everything bolted right up when they did it, so i guess it depends on your rig...

AIRBORNE!!