Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm cured I tell ya...it's a miracle....!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I'm not completely better, but I did just get the go ahead to go back to work from my doctor. The ribs are doing well and only hurt in certain positions or when I roll over in bed. The back and shoulder pain is mostly gone but the left arm still has some problems. She extended my physical therapy to work on the arm for a bit. I weaned myself off the pain pills early since I've never been big on medications to begin with. I'm back driving and getting some things done around the house. The only downside to the whole event is that I'm starting to wrestle with maybe selling the scoot. I wouldn't even have considered it a few weeks ago, but you begin to ponder the whole thing more and more every time you look at your kids and imagine them without a Dad. Besides, the 16 grand from the sale could help finish the Blazer sooner. I just can't imagine myself without a motorcycle. I've been riding for over 25 years and had planned on riding well into retirement...........

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

okay maybe I'm dumb but what happened :confused:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh, there's another post a few weeks back ... but short answer:

Idiot in car:1
    Desert Rat on motorcycle: 0

:(

-- A

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What you need is a good night shift in a patrol car...................... :haha:

It sucks getting old and having to recover from stuff like this. I'm glad that you didn't get hooked on the pills. A cop buddy of mine out there had surgery a few years ago and ended up getting hooked and he pretty much withdrew himself from what social contact he had.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya, but you need too get back on the scooter. Don't let a accident take that joy away from ya. Besides, with the price of gas, a scoot looks better and better.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

that is just funny when your in a good mood, sorry desert rat

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Good to hear you are on the mend. I have had several surgeries myself and went to Tylenol as soon as I got out of the hospital. Not one for pain meds unless absolutely necessary.

Don't give up on the scoot just yet. My brother (who has 3 kids) was in a pretty bad dirt bike accident a couple of years ago and was seriously thinking about giving it up after 20+ years of riding. After the pain was mostly gone, he went out on a few short rides by himself to get his confidence back and now he's dirt biking every weekend, bought himself a street bike and has even done a few races.

Maybe wait for a bit and try a short putt around the hood to see how it feels before you make your final decision :)

9. Desert Rat

Here was the first one: Clicky
    Here is the second: Clicky

This is why I've been such a post whore lately. I should receed back to my every so often posting when I get back to work next week. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I just know if I get back on the scoot when it comes out of the shop, I won't sell it. That's why I'm tempted just to put it on the floor of the dealership for sale after it is fixed. I change my mind every hour.............. :doah: Oh, and I got the accident report. I thought I was doing about 25. Turns out I was doing 45 mph. No wonder I bounced for such a long time. It occured to me while I was tumbling that by the time I stopped rolling, my clothes would be out of style.......(rimshot, and stolen from a comedian....)

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sell it! If you sitll want to ride into retirement. Get a BMW or Moto Guzzi
    Last time I sat on a harley I couldn't sh*T right for a week.
    Get a bike that can handle and wont throw you off and grind you up when its panic time.
    It may be time move on and get a real bike. All I can say is ....................... Test drive one.
    Or you can be a poser with 90% of the other HD riders.

11. Desert Rat

I didn't start on a Harley, I progressed to it. BMW makes a nice bike. Honda makes a nice bike. They all make copies of Harley for a reason. If you want a V-Twin cruiser, you can buy a wannabe, or you can buy the original. I've ridden Kawasakis, Hondas, BMW's, and Yamaha's. All nice bikes but until you actually ride a Harley for a while, you don't understand the difference. There is something about it that is hard to put your finger on. Sure, it is a status symbol for some to ride a Harley because of the cost and there are lots of posers. But, there are posers on every bike, car, and truck out there. I see the full race leather clad and bazillion dollar helmet sport bike riders around that have only ridden for a week. I've found two types of motorcycle riders. Those that just love to ride and don't care what brand you ride. And, those that obsess on the brand and the culture surrounding the brand. I prefer to ride and respect whatever somebody else rides no matter the brand. It is kind of the same here. I used to own a 90 Bronco. I loved it but wanted something with no electronics that was easier to get parts for. I sold the Bronco and got an early Blazer. But, I still own other Fords and Nissans. If I would have known Ca. was going to screw us with the smog law modification, and my 76 Blazer would never be exempt, I would've gone with a 77 Bronco instead. Brand loyalty can equal brand blindness. As for handling, no bike will survive a front wheel lockup at an angle. Not even a brand new BMW with ABS. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous and no matter how good you are, other drivers can still kill you. As for the bike, it actually sustained less damage than I did. It landed on the front crash bar, the side floorboard, and the left rear crash bar and slid for 150 ft. Not a spec of paint damage. If I would've been on a plastic wrapped BMW or a sport bike, it would've completely shredded all the exterior and probably tumbled maybe totalling the bike. When I went to the dealer to see the damage, it almost looked like it never got into a wreck. I had to get down and look under the crash bars for damage.

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dooooooooooooooooon't sell your two wheeled friend!!! :crazy:

It's sorry it hurt ya! :(