Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm DD'ing my 6.2L CUCV unexpectedly, have questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Dec 20, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

These may be dumb questions but here goes:

How do I check the oil? I guess I mean how long should I wait after shut down? The guy that sold it to me said I needed to wait a while after driving it because of the large oil cooler in the radiator. However a lot of his info has been questionable so now I'm a bit confused.

Is it normal for one tailpipe to puff more than the other? It might be my imagination but it seems like at start up A LOT more smoke comes out of the driver's side than the passenger's side. Same if I have to stomp on it or something while driving.

Any other tips for daily driving a 6.2L would be great. This was supposed to be my toy/occasional work/tow truck but then my wife was involved in an accident and she's driving my DD. So Big Ugly is driving every day now.

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

the horse is a 6.2??LOL

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A couple of minutes is how much I wait.
    Anymore and it will not make that much difference.

4. AJMBLAZER

Thanks iceman. I'm going to go check now.

Seems like it smokes evenly out of both pipes when it's going down the road but once again after work man, LOTS of smoke out of the d-side and very little out of the p-side.

5. chevy wrangler

maybe bad plugs?? sorry dont know what 6.2s run mut when my truck did that it was the plugs.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

BAD PLUGS??:haha::haha::haha:

Thanks for playing anyway:rolleyes:

7. chevy wrangler

arent they glow plugs??

8. AJMBLAZER

Boy, wranglers just full of good useful comments today...

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Glow plugs are a starting aid, they don't stay on after it's running.

Aaron, more smoke on one side could indicate an injector or two getting worn. The fuel spray needs to be a very very fine mist so it ignites as completely as possible. As the injectors get worn that mist can eventually turn to something more like droplets so the affected cylinder will smoke more.

My Jimmy has also become my DD again as I volunteered to try and get the second shift built up. I can't very well leave my wife without any wheels in the evenings...

I recomend ear plugs.

X2 on the oil.

Rene

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine belches too!...

Upon starting my 6.2 first time of the day,it will belch a big white cloud out of the pipes,and my truck seems to put out more smoke on the drivers side as well!...maybe my injectors are crap,I wouldn't be suprised,since this thing sits a lot..it doesn't smoke after its been driven a few miles,but if you look closely you can see a bit of diesel smoke from both tailpipes when accelerating,maybe a tad more on the drivers side...had friends follow me,they say its not smoking any worse than other diesels they get stuck behind in traffic--...(and NONE of my friends let ME lead the pack,for that reason!-my trucks new nickname is "stinky"..:doah: )...

I feel like I'm driving a deuce and a half sometimes..my 6.2 is pretty loud,I think it has flowmasters or some similar mufflers,and it really "moans" about 30-45 mph..having no "snorkel" from the air cleaner to the radiator support adds a lot of intake noise too..but I kind of like the sound,makes it sound "beefy"...:D ..I dont think I'd like it on a long trip though..:crazy:

11. chevy wrangler

ima need some schooling on this diesel thing

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well my friends called my blazer "smokey joe" :D
    And no one lets me lead, I always trail. :o
    I never get mosquitoes though :haha:

13. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

some smoke at startup and until the engine is fully warmed up is prefectly normal for a diesel. under acceleration black smoke is extra fuel, a little is ok more means either injectors(clogged/worn out) or possible compression issues. on cold starts the glow plugs do come on after the engine starts to help even out the cumbustion temps.( its a cosmetic thing to get rid of the white smoke, doesnt do anything needed)

on the oil, I wait about 5min. before checking. also dont foget to change your fuel filter, if you havent driven the truck in a while its cheap insurance. keep a spare in the truck in case you get water in your fuel. PM me if you have any further questions.

also don't worry about the really rough cold starts. Its common for the older diesels to start on three or four cylinders, then the others begin to fire as it smooths out.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am guessing your reply is not to me. :D

Mine is a little different in Smokey Joe, it has no glow plugs and it smoke all the time, less when warmed up but it never really warms up good untill I push it hard on the highway then it smokes black, but idles clean. I believe it need the injectors rebuilt.
    :D

15. AJMBLAZER

This about exactly describes Big Ugly. I wasn't exactly worried about the smoke, just the differing amounts of it. Sounds like it's not a big worry, good to know. Thanks guys.

Heh, I bought mine in central Wisconsin two months ago and immediately drove it 400 miles across Michigan's UP and then down the LP. No radio, minimal (VERY minimal) sound deadening, and just the diesel roar/rattle.

Funny you mention the mufflers. I've been contemplating throwing some Cherry Bombs on just for their straight through flow in place of the big ass factory "garbage can" mufflers it has. Maybe even a H-pipe.