Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm doing rigth or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazingItaly, Aug 15, 2002.

1. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

I\'m doing rigth or not?

I'm still on the field for my engine.
    I've started to disassembly the accessories prior to remove the whole engine to do a major overhaul.
    Everythings seems to work fine (at least until the day that the engine blows).
    I'm checking the accessories trying to understand what to keep and what to throw. Any parts has evident sign of usage. There is a little rust in the outgoing neck of water pump, there a lot of moisture on steering pump(don't know if it comes from the pump or from hoses). Of course any vacuum hose must be replaced, as well of belts, sparks plugs and cables, rotor and cap.
    I'm budget minded, so if I can save some parts it would be great.
    Any advice will be appriciated.

Thanks

Luca

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I\'m doing rigth or not?

I would get a new water pump but reuse everything else on the accesories. That is normally the only thing that I replace.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m doing rigth or not?

Yeah. A new water pump/thermostat is a must on a new engine. Also look at the radiator.
    . If there is any corrosion in it take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned out.
    I also like to replace the starter wheen installing a new engine. The higher compression of a new engine will take its toll on a old worn out starter.
    Rebuild the carb or get a new/rebuilt one is always a good idea.
    I would not worry about the power steering pump unless there is a major problem with it.