Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm engine sTuPid, can someone help?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bill4rest, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

I\'m engine sTuPid, can someone help?

Ok, My truck is a 72 CST Blazer and I’m have a hell of a time starting my truck in the morning lately. I really don’t think this is right since I really don’t consider southern California a “cold start” in the morning LOL I’m n the NAVY and had better luck in WA in winter. I have a recent rebuilt “Edelbrock” Quadrajet on a performer intank/ Mallory Promaster coil/ Unilight distributor. I just put in new plugs and wires/Mallory replacement cap and rotor. For go juice I have a stock 73 blazer alt. (for the internal regulator) and I think it is a 60 amp? I also have an Optima 800 battery. My brother in law helped me adjust the choke, and it does start better but sometime it just seems to crank till the battery dies

I think the Carburetor is the main culprit since it’s the only thing I have differently since I’ve owned the truck (7 years) But My brother in law knows what he’s doing since he does this stuff for a living. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m engine sTuPid, can someone help?

So what is hard to start about it?

Does it crank fast?
    Does it die if you give it gas?
    Does it crank for like 15seconds before it fires?

Q-jets are known for leaking float bowls which would cause it to have to fill them back up before it would start. That is what mine does if it has been sitting for longer then a few hours. I don't think it could be a choke problem because I don't have one and mine starts fine when cold as long as there is fuel in the float boal...but if I give it any gas before it is warm it dies. It would not if the choke worked.

3. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Yea sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It seems like it cranks fast enought but just cranks and cranks till the battery dies:( Kinda like I don't have gas but I do, the fuel filter is good, and I know it gets gas because if I take the air cleaner off I can smell gas and see it shoot into the carb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

now take a spare spark plug and plug it into one of your plug wires. Touch the ground prong of your "testing" plug to some good engine ground. Have someone crank it over for you to see if your getting spark.

To operate a gas engine you need fuel compresion and spark.. without all three you got a boat ancher...

5. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

I know it runs, just it hard as hell in the morning. I'm starting to think my Optima is not charging the way it used to or my alt is starting to go south. Mostly because it does not take long for it to die.

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Did the hard starting begin before or after the choke adjustment?

7. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

After the rebuild, and it has been re-adjusted. My brother in law also said he leaned the out mix when he adjusted the choke.

8. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Does sound like a bit of adjustment might help - in the mean time I'd suggest the old carb starting hints. Pump the gas 3 or 4 (heck maybe 5 or 6) times - this as you've observed will cause the accelerator pump to squirt fuel - making for an over rich condition - then hold the pedal to the floor - this will allow air without the addition fuel of pumping the gas and at some point the fuel (already pumped in) and the air coming in with the carb at wide open throttle will hit the right mixture and BAMM you are started. Then comes the questions of does it die after starting, does it take a while before you can give it enough gas without it wanting to die --- for these you'll have to as a Q-jet guy --- I've been running Holleys for a couple of decades now --- good luck

9. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Welp I gave it a shot and nothing. Totally killed the battery in 22 mins of tring to start it. I checked under the hood and felt the battery cables, are soppsed to be warm? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It also did not sound as though it was turnning over fast enough, I'm starting to think now that the starter may have something to do with it. I've never felt warm cables before in this bone chilling weather I have /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

your starter probably draws about 150amps... so yeh the cables should be warm.

Are your spark plugs wet? If your fouling plugs it may not want to start.

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

Clean your battery terminals 1st.Corrosion may be involved and may be the reason it's not turning over as fast and why the cables are a little "warm".Check your battery grounds as well.Also what's the condition of your battery cables.I about melted the cable ends off with crappry cables and connections when I 1st got my truck.I've since made my own cables out of 2 gauge welding cable and that starter spins nicely now.I also switched to some "Lug" type terminal ends and routinly clean my battery connections.
    this is a crappy pic but it's all I could find with the cables in it.You can see in the bottom right hand corner of the pic the 2gauge cables with the Brass ring terminal attached to them.A wing nut attaches the cables to the battery.
    [​IMG]
    As far as the hard start goes.3 things,air,fuel and fire.Do you have all 3.Well air is a given.As long as the throttle is opening up your golden.Fuel,your pump works right?Open up the throttle by hand...do you get a a shot of gass.squirt a little gas down the carb and try to start it.If it starts and then dies might have a pump problem or a clogged fuel filter.If it doesn't start when the gas is squirted in the carb you'll have to check for spark.
    Pull a plug and place it NEAR a ground source.Turn over the eng. and see if there is spark.No spark check coil and power wire to coil.Make sure the coil is getting a full 12 volts on start.
    I fyou do get a spark possiblely is not enough of a spark and you should still check the coil and 12 volt lead to the coil.
    Check the basics before you start messing with the mixture and all that crap.
    Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Spark plugs are good. I changed them the other day for a tune up and they were nice and normal (grey/brown).

13. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

I was wondering about changing out my cables. I would like to get a new coil, I sweated mine a couple of times going cross country(when the resitor broke) I have a Mallory promaster [​IMG]
    I have a Optima red top (800 CCA)
    I think I'll replace the battery cables and the coil wires as you suggested/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think I'll run it down to Kragan to double check the Alt as well.

BTW nice Eng /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what did it come out of?

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

fuel injection system is from a 91-92 Camaro.Just slapped it on my existing block.
    Is your ignition a points or HEI system.If it's a point's system I think the voltage to the coil is less than 12 volts on start-up but 12 volts when running.HEI needs the full 12 volts all the time.
    Check your timeing,that hasn't slipped has it?

15. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Hav'nt checked the timing, not HEI but not points to my knowledge,<font color="red">EDIT***I think I have this distro (Mallory Magnetic Breakerless Distributor)</font color>/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[​IMG]

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Oh...no point's just doesn't have the coil sitting on top of the cap.
    I had a Mallory HEI on my truck when I bought it.It kept burning up coils.I pulled it and put on a GM unit,no problem after that.

17. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Well That's what I think is happening now. I pored a bit of fuel in the carb, then hand choked it while my wife turned the key. It started /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, So I'm thinking it is a combo of the two choke and fuel not staying in the carb /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif But I still don't understand if I crank and crank the battery will die before the fuel comes back into the carb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So now I think that my brother inlaw FUBARED the carb rebuild.........

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know what to tell ya...
    Mine fires up after like 10sec. of cranking after it has been sitting for like 3 months. I have zero choke. It is held open with a zip-tie. If it is just overnight it will start up instantally, and if I give it a few (3 to 6) pumps of the throttle before I fire it I don't even have to let it warm up.

Are your butterflies closing all the way?

19. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

The back two are fully closed, the front two are like at a 45*-50* /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is your problem. You need to screw with the linkage till the front butterflies close when the truck is at idle.

Just to be sure:
    You are looking at the butterflies not the choke/secondary air door. The choke covers the front butterflies (they are down below it) and the air door covers the secondaries. You have to look past/move them out of the way to see the butterflies.